× Members

Lifelong Disabilities

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #145455 by Johnny
Lifelong Disabilities was created by Johnny
While reflecting on my ongoing PIP claim, I realised something very important regarding ASD.

If, prior to claiming PIP, a person has had an award for DLA based on the person having autism, it would seem to me nonsensical for an assessor to decline at the very least a similar level of award for what is clearly a lifelong condition, because since the DLA award the claimants condition could not have changed and if anything could have gotten worse.

My point is, if one is refused PIP having had DLA for ASD, one can on appeal raise the issue of it being clinically and medically impossible for the claimants condition to have change since he/she was receiving DLA.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #145459 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Lifelong Disabilities

Johnny wrote: While reflecting on my ongoing PIP claim, I realised something very important regarding ASD.

If, prior to claiming PIP, a person has had an award for DLA based on the person having autism, it would seem to me nonsensical for an assessor to decline at the very least a similar level of award for what is clearly a lifelong condition, because since the DLA award the claimants condition could not have changed and if anything could have gotten worse.

My point is, if one is refused PIP having had DLA for ASD, one can on appeal raise the issue of it being clinically and medically impossible for the claimants condition to have change since he/she was receiving DLA.

Hi J,

Whilst your assumptions may seem logical, you are missing some very important points.

It is the limitations and disabilities suffered as a result of a medical condition that may or may not give an award of DLA or PIP rather than the condition itself.

Further, the qualifying criteria for DLA and PIP are totally different, one major difference is that PIP Awards rely on you scoring 8 or 12 points in a pre-set group of "PIP Activities", DLA was not points based at all and did not rely on you fulfilling applicable Descriptors from said PIP Activities to score points.

It is quite feasible for a former HR Care and Mobility recipient of DLA to not receive any PIP Award on transfer, whether that is fair or not is a different matter !

PIP was specifically designed to cut at least 20% off the disability welfare bill !

See :

How The PIP Points Scoring System Works.

PIP Self Test

&

PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link down the page)

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.