× Members

Q5 PIP2

More
8 years 4 months ago #146701 by Johnny
Q5 PIP2 was created by Johnny
Hi

I just wanted to get some expert input into Q5 PIP2, Managing Treatments.

I sent off an MR for a failed claim having got 1 point for what was termed by the Decision Maker as:

Monitoring Therapy and Monitoring a Health Condition: ‘You either need an aid or appliance to manage your medication, or you need supervision, prompting or assistance from another person to manage your medication or monitor your health condition’.

Now, here's the important aspect of this particular area on PIP2. On PIP2, Q5b it states: Do you need help from another person to monitor your health conditions, take medication or manage home treatments?

I take it this question relates to the question on the self-assessment test where I ticked the box; Needs supervision, prompting or assistance from another person to manage medication or monitor health condition that takes up more than 14 HOURS A WEEK -8 points.

My question here is: Does the term 'Monitoring Therapy', mean professional therapy of a physical/mental health nature, or is the term open to meaning monitoring by what is termed in Qb5 as ...'help from another person...' meaning, a friend?

My point is, I have a friend who monitoring me over 14 hours a week and I took this as qualifying for 8 points.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #146713 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Q5 PIP2
Johnny

There are legal definitions of the following in the PIP Claim guide

Manage medication or therapy
Medication
Therapy
Monitor health

You should also have a look at the PIP Assessment guide to see how the DWP view this activity.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 4 months ago #146719 by Johnny
Replied by Johnny on topic Q5 PIP2
Thank you, The guide is clear:

“Supervision” means the continuous presence of another person for the purpose of ensuring
your safety'.

'Prompting” means reminding, encouraging or explaining by another person'....and the important bit...'‘ To apply, this only needs to be required for part of the activity.’

Therefore, in my case, I am correct when I stated in my MR letter, ‘SUPERVISION, PROMPTING OR ASSISTANCE TO BE ABLE TO MANAGE THERAPHY THAT TAKES MORE THAN 14 HOURS A WEEK’ is entitled to 8 points.

It doesn't matter in my case whether it says, Supervision, (which in my case is not quite continuous), as long as it includes 'Prompting ...'for part of the activity' (in my case roughly 14 hours a week) , therefore I am correct in challenging this as 'Prompting', is clearly part of ‘SUPERVISION, PROMPTING OR ASSISTANCE TO BE ABLE TO MANAGE THERAPHY THAT TAKES MORE THAN 14 HOURS A WEEK’ - 8 points.

I will keep save this in case of appeal, because I'd like to see how they might challenge it.

More
8 years 4 months ago #146722 by Johnny
Replied by Johnny on topic Q5 PIP2
Just to add. I realise the term 'Therapy is a grey area.

How is the term 'Therapy' interpreted by DWP? 'therapy to be undertaken at home which is prescribed or recommended by
a—
(a) registered –
(i) doctor;
(ii) nurse; or
(iii) pharmacist; or
(b) health professional regulated by the Health Professions Council.

Key words here are 'prescribed' and 'recommended'...Why? Because it makes no mention of a health professional needing to being present at the time of the 'Therapy'. Therefore, a carer of friend monitoring the 'Therapy' is fine. Another key point for an appeal.

• foss27
8 years 4 months ago #146725 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic Q5 PIP2
Hi

You're really motoring now !! :) :) :) :)

Hoefully you'll pick up all the points you need to get your deserved award.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.