× Members

Post Work-Programme Support Appointment on 6/1/16

More
8 years 3 months ago #147004 by Zinny
My son (who is just in his 50's) has been told to attend a "post work-programme support appointment on 6th January 2016. I'm hoping someone can answer this message before then. Letter says - appointment will discuss possibility of paid work, training for work or looking for work in the future. Has just finished two years on the work programme.
He has been on benefits and not worked for 17 years. For various reasons when placed in ESA WRAG and not Support group did not appeal. Has physical and mental problems.

Question 1. What will happen at the interview? Will they expect him to look and apply for a job? But he is on ESA not JSA? He might cope with a part time job 3 hours starting mid-day but there are few - if any of those and he is not likely to get chosen. If he says he will look for a part time job will they put him on JSA? What sort of "training for work" do they offer? Can a result of this "appointment" be that they put him on JSA and expect him to look for a full time job? Are they likely to send him back to the Work Programme provider? Has anyone on this forum been sent back onto the Work Programme?

Question 2. I understood that after sometime on ESA his position would be reviewed by him being sent another ESA form and going for a medical assessment and he could appeal against their decision. Is that still the case or is this interview a way of moving him from ESA to JSA?

Question 3. What is the experience of other people attending such an "appointment".
I can see they can now sanction him for all sorts of things.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 3 months ago #147010 by foss27
Hi

Did his ESA award say how long he would be in the WRAG for?

If he has finished his work programme and not moved into work yet they cannot force him to get a job. He will probably have to continue to do work related activities but he cannot be moved from ESA to JSA without another assessment and claim proceedure. They cannot arbitrarily make him change benefits.

He could make a new claim for ESA himself on grounds his condition has deteriorated. Perhaps you could go through our claim guide in the members area. If you or he did not use our guide when he claimed last time tou could see now how the guide could help tou or him make a more detailed claim with supporting evidence to get him in the support group?

I haven't met or heard anything from anyone who has completed a work programme. Hopefully someone has and will respond.

More
8 years 3 months ago #147274 by J
They asked questions of education & if i had family. Stated they were here to help me & that I had to attend wfis each month & then after every 6 months. Work related activities will be expected. Advised to request a move to support group due to worsening condition. I have to say my JC advisor was very affable & approachable & didn't want me worrying about appt. The travelling to & fro tho has served to increase pain levels & at 04.43am I am in too much pain to be able to sleep :(

More
8 years 3 months ago #147386 by Bill
I completed two years on the work program, and it felt like a breeze compared to what JC+ are expecting of me now.
On the work program I created a CV and "dropped in for a chat" every now and then.
And now back to JC+ with rapidly failing health, they seem to think that sending me on workfare placements and training courses is the best way forward.
I will be 61 in a few weeks and I suffer from a degenerative heart condition but I was fairly content being in the WRAG, but now I have felt compelled to submit a supersession request to place me in the support group.
This is just one more example of this great institution the DWP "helping" the sick and disabled.

Best Regards.....Bill.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.