× Members

General memory

• Lynsey
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago #147116 by Lynsey
General memory was created by Lynsey
Does anyone know what Atos mean by the term 'general memory'?

The Atos Health Practitioner who assessed me has written on my PIP report that I have 'adequate general memory'. And the DWP decision maker has interpreted this is 'a good memory'. This is despite the fact that I have three types of amnesia (which to the best of my knowlege are permanent as I've had them for 23 years) and problems with long and short term visual, spatial and olfactory memory resulting from a brain trauma.

I did try to raise the point in two separate complaint letters with Atos that the health practitioner (a paramedic) wouldn't have been able to ascertain how impaired my memory was (even if he was an expert in brain injury) during a one hour interview as it took the best part of a decade for experts to do indepth testing. However, they've responded by saying that he's trained by Atos and that's that.

It would just be interesting to know what Atos constitutes as a memory problem or not a memory problem so that I can collect documentation that directly contradicts them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #147138 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic General memory
Lynsey

I don't think it matters what Atos's view of memory (in a general sense is), this is about you showing how your memory effects your ability to perform the PIP activities, where applicable!

At best you will be arguing against an opinion formed by the individual assessor at the time that they did the assessment, so you need to first show that your memory problems either cause you sufficient problems to score points in themselves or that they are a significant contributing factor to your doing so. Then you can consider whether you need to deal with the assessor's comments.

Remember activities must be performed reliably (including the sub definitions) on the majority of days to not score points.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Lynsey
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago #147360 by Lynsey
Replied by Lynsey on topic General memory
Thanks Gordon.

I wrote them indepth examples of how different aspects of my memory impairments affect all the descriptors I was claiming points for but they've dismissed everything I said by saying 'you have a good memory so therefore you can do this'.

It didn't really help that the paramedic wrote in my medical history that I had depression 23 years ago which caused temporary memory loss - this wasn't true and I didn't even say that and I have a witness who has also told the DWP I didn't say this and they have my claim form which says I had a brain injury causing this but having pointed that out to both Atos and the DWP the response I got was: 'Your diagnosis is irrelevant and what matters is the HPs observations on the day'.

I, at least, have sent a recent neurology letter which says I have long standing memory issues going back 23 years and a GP one saying the same - GP one also says many neurologists and psychologists have documented this.

I will wait and see what happens. I'm still at the mandatory reconsideration stage. I can't really think of anything else I can do.

• foss27
8 years 3 months ago #147373 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic General memory
Hi Lynsey/

Unfortunately the MR is a politically motivated obstacle to a proper appeal and was introduced to put claimants off appealing. In the vast majority of cases they just rubber stamp the decision.

Your first real opportunity to state your case comes at the first level appeal hearing where you can put your evidence and argue your case. I think this is what will happen.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.