× Members

ESA medical assessment

More
8 years 4 months ago #147125 by sweetpea
ESA medical assessment was created by sweetpea
Hi, I'm new to this site and have some questions.

I have today applied for contribution based ESA. I have a mental health condition called Borderline Personality Disorder which was diagnosed 10 years ago. Since then I have muddled through, changing jobs often as after 6 months I find them too difficult to cope with.

In December 2011 I found it just too hard to work full time any more, so with the support of my husband I left my job and starting selling handmade wedding invitations on ebay. I was only making around £8k a year doing this, but along with my husband's decent salary we got by.

In January 2013 I decided to try and tackle my weight problem, so I joined Weight Watchers, and over the next year and 7 months, I lost 3 stone to be a healthy weight in August 2014. By this point I had been selling my invitations for nearly 3 years, and was making less and less money and getting more stressed with it, so I decided to try and give it a go being a Weight Watchers leader.

At the same time, I found out about a benefit called PIP I'd never heard of before, which wasn't income tested, so I applied for it. I was awarded the enhanced daily living rate in October 2014. I had to have a home assessment, and got myself so worked up about it that I was in a right state by the time the nurse came to see me. I could barely answer my phone or the front door due to the anxiety, and it took me a good few days to recover afterwards.

I started working for Weight Watchers in November 2014 around 8 hours per week, and when my husband got made redundant in April 2015 I gave up my wedding invitations and took on an extra role with Weight Watchers, working 28 hours per week.

At the end of September 2015, I started to have group psychotherapy a week, which I had been on the waiting list for 2 years for. It is quite intensive, lasting 3 and a quarter hours every Tuesday and Thursday, and as the hospital is 45 mins away and I can't cope with driving or public transport, I have volunteer drivers come to pick me up and take me home. After starting this I really struggled to cope with my job, and at the end of October I resigned as I couldn't cope with it at all. Working my month notice period whilst having my therapy was horrendous.

I am now really hoping to be able to get contribution based ESA in the support group, but the thought of having to travel to a job centre to have an assessment is causing me so much distress at the moment that it's affecting my daily life. I can't sleep due to the worry of it.

If I explain this on my form and get a letter from my psychotherapist, is there a possibility I won't have to have the assessment, or at least get a home visit? And can the fact that I get enhanced daily living PIP be used to make a decision too without an assessment? As I'm new to all this, any insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #147149 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA medical assessment
Sweetpea

One immediate comment, although you have worked over the last couple of years, you don't appear to have worked sufficiently since 2011 to have received NI Contributions, this being the case then I think it unlikely that your claim for Contribution Based ESA will be accepted as you will not have received any NICs in the required Tax Years.

I am guessing that you husband is working, if they are doing so for 24 or more hours a week then you will not be entitled to payment under an Income Related ESA claim, however, it may still be worth your pursuing this as you will receive NI Credits which count towards a full State Pension. If this is the case then it won't really matter which group you are in as you will not be required to do any Work Related Activities as you will have what is called a Credits only claim.

Our ESA Claim guides are available on the following link

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

If you have any further question then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 4 months ago #147156 by sweetpea
Replied by sweetpea on topic ESA medical assessment
Hi Gordon, I am entitled to contribution based, as I paid my full NI contributions whilst selling my wedding invitations on ebay, and also when working for Weight Watchers. It's just the assessment I'm worried about. Many thanks, Sam

More
8 years 4 months ago #147164 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA medical assessment

sweetpea wrote: Hi Gordon, I am entitled to contribution based, as I paid my full NI contributions whilst selling my wedding invitations on ebay, and also when working for Weight Watchers. It's just the assessment I'm worried about. Many thanks, Sam

There is a section on the assessment process at the back of the Claim guides.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.