× Members

Mobility Cars ?

More
8 years 3 months ago #147226 by Noodles
Mobility Cars ? was created by Noodles
For DLA to PIP claim purposes.

I finds this a bit embarrassing but is my husbands Mobility car and more importantly his inability to drive it safely due to Alzheimer's and chronic Arthritis classed as Aid or Appliance ? I'm struggling to think how I can get a 16 stone man to his doctors or hospital appointments in his Transit wheelchair he needs,let alone any kind of assessment involving long distances ect ?

Worried and confused again ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #147227 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Mobility Cars ?

Noodles wrote: For DLA to PIP claim purposes.

I finds this a bit embarrassing but is my husbands Mobility car and more importantly his inability to drive it safely due to Alzheimer's and chronic Arthritis classed as Aid or Appliance ? I'm struggling to think how I can get a 16 stone man to his doctors or hospital appointments in his Transit wheelchair he needs,let alone any kind of assessment involving long distances ect ?

Worried and confused again ?

Although driving ability (and practice) might be used to make assumptions about a claimants dexterity and mental skills, PIP does not specifically look at whether the claimant can drive or not, so I'm not sure where you are going with this.

For the Going Out question, physical limitations with the exception of sensory issues are not considered and will not score points, so your husband's inability to drive will not be considered, you need to consider the question at a lower level, how does your husband's Alzheimer's effect his ability to plan and follow a route, whatever the mode of transport.

The Moving Around activity only look at his ability to stand and then walk so will primarily be concerned with conditions such as his Arthritis that limit the distance.

In both cases remember "reliably" and "the majority of days".

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 3 months ago #147234 by Noodles
Replied by Noodles on topic Mobility Cars ?
I see .

With respect,and as a factual example of a series of events that happened over a period of time some years ago. My husbands Alzheimer's still prevents him at times from remembering the difference and significance of colours,as well as failing to understand directions properly or what route he just took evn with myself in charge so to speak. He now has difficulty remembering signs,the importance and information given on them,and avoiding potential dangers such as his current inability to correctly judge danger at traffic lights like it did one day in is early stages some years ago whilst driving,or, as we ow face his confusion in remember a simply route home which has now got a lot worse due to the progressives of Dementia,are these not sensory issues brought about by an incurable and progressive mental illness Gordon ?

No offence btw.

More
8 years 3 months ago #147257 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Mobility Cars ?

Noodles wrote: I see .

With respect,and as a factual example of a series of events that happened over a period of time some years ago. My husbands Alzheimer's still prevents him at times from remembering the difference and significance of colours,as well as failing to understand directions properly or what route he just took evn with myself in charge so to speak. He now has difficulty remembering signs,the importance and information given on them,and avoiding potential dangers such as his current inability to correctly judge danger at traffic lights like it did one day in is early stages some years ago whilst driving,or, as we ow face his confusion in remember a simply route home which has now got a lot worse due to the progressives of Dementia,are these not sensory issues brought about by an incurable and progressive mental illness Gordon ?

No offence btw.

When the DWP refer to sensory issues they are primarily referring to people who are blind or deaf, although you may be able to argue that your husband fits aspects of this requirement, it will likely be viewed as quite a narrow fit and by relating them to driving you are opening yourself to a Decision Maker saying that this is not part of the test and ignoring all of your content.

The Going Out activity tests the claimants ability to plan and then follow a route, the more limited the circumstances you describe on the PIP2 the less likely that they are to score points for an award. There are already issues with the DWP's interpretation of the word "prompting" in context to this activity, so to be successful you need, as I suggested in my previous post, to describe your husband's problems in the widest context possible, for example; if they struggle with signs then this would also be applicable to them going out on foot or making use of Public Transport

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 3 months ago #147264 by Noodles
Replied by Noodles on topic Mobility Cars ?
Now I fully understand.

Thank you again.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.