× Members

ESA, Aspergers/ADHD

More
8 years 3 months ago #147362 by janice
ESA, Aspergers/ADHD was created by janice
Hi, my son is at University and has recently been awarded (and paid) ESA. I applied for it over the phone and was told we needed sick notes from his doctor to be sent in which i also arranged. he has now just received the ESA50 form to fill in.
he has no supporting evidence to send with this form as the last we needed was for his DLA 4yrs ago and due to moving house we cannot even find this. the only major issue he has is anxiety wich affects his day to day life immensly but he has no input from professionals for this. im unsure how to proceed with the form. He is thinking he will just cancel his claim as the thought of an interview is also causing him to much stress.
another question i have is will he need continuous sick notes from his GP to continue receiving ESA?
ps. he does have many other issues like unable to orgnise himself, cannot time keep, quickly becomes overwhelmed with everyday tasks. i support him daily with these tasks.
thank you in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #147377 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA, Aspergers/ADHD
Janice

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

With regard to completing the ESA50, have a look at our ESA Claim guides on the following link.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

As to evidence, a good place for him to start would be for him to see his GP to see what help they might provide.

Your son will need to have to have an active Fit Note on file at the DWP until a Decision on his claim is made.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 3 months ago #147427 by Zenele
Replied by Zenele on topic ESA, Aspergers/ADHD
Hi Janice,

I actually paid to have a private adult diagnosis for my Autistic daughter, ten years ago, as my doctor had scant records of her assessments at Gt Ormond St hospital throughout her childhood. This was the best thing I ever did. {as a single parent I took out a loan to do it) As you will know there is no medical assessment for Autism/ ADHD, it has to be done by a clinical psychologist with the expertise. Please contact the National Autistic Society to find out about adult assessments. Good luck for the future with this.

Celya

More
8 years 3 months ago #147487 by ELEANOR
Replied by ELEANOR on topic ESA, Aspergers/ADHD
We paid for a private assessment for my daughter two years ago. As soon as he had seen her, the psychiatrist suspected Asperger's. When he spoke to me and her Dad he said it definitely wasn't Asperger's on the grounds that 1) she had played imaginatively as a child and 2) she had had friends at school. 1) has been discredited as a diagnostic and 2)took no account of the fact that her friends had been the ones to initiate contact with her. Two years later we asked our GP to refer her to the NHS service for adults. She was seen two weeks later by a psychiatrist who diagnosed Asperger's after 20 minutes.
I didn't think university students were entitled to claim ESA. Is your son full-time or part-time? My daughter studies full-time and is currently trying to claim PIP.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.