× Members

On ESA but getting an inheritance

• ShaunIOW
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago #147426 by ShaunIOW
On ESA but getting an inheritance was created by ShaunIOW
My situation is this - I live alone, I'm single, childless and have no close family in the UK. I'm in the ESA Support Group getting a means tested benefit as I'm agoraphobic and have very severe OCD so virtually housebound (I can only go out if accompanied by someone I know and trust). I own the house I live in, so no rent to pay so no housing benefits apart from the Council Tax relief. My stepmum passed away the Monday before Christmas and I've been told I'm the sole beneficery to her estate which after all costs, expenses and debts have been paid will leave around £100k cash for me.

Now I know that I'm obviously not going to be getting ESA or Council Tax relief any longer and will have to use the £100k to live off as I have no other income, but as I'm 50 and can't work it's not going to last me till I get my Old Age Pension in 17 years (no private pension). I've done some research as when the money runs out I'll have to re-apply for benefits, and from what I can make out I'll be OK as long as I can justify what I've spent the money on, but no clues as to what would be justified, so that is the advice I need please.

Can i for example gift £5k to a friend who has been looking after my stepmum and runs errands and helps me, and has been doing all the running around and clearing out of my stepmums property as I'm unable to? It's for a small car and driving lessons, so will also benefit me in the long run as my friend can do things for me or take me to appointments if I need to go.

Hoiw much would be reasonable to use for living costs? Would for example using the equivalent of whatever minimum wage is at 40 hours per week be acceptable?

I don't intend going on holidays, buying myself a car etc as no point, but what about spending on other 'luxeries' like work/upgrades on the house, a new laptop or pet etc? Or maybe visiting my only family in Germany as long as I have someone to go with (so 2 lots of fares to pay)? or some courses to try and get some work from home part-time?

Cheers for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #147444 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic On ESA but getting an inheritance
ShaunIOW

I am afraid we cannot give financial advice on the forum, you need to get face to face advice on this matter.

Even then you should be aware that there is no "defined" list of acceptable expenditure, the decision will be made on a case by case basis by a DWP Decision Maker.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Gordon.

• ShaunIOW
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago #147448 by ShaunIOW
Replied by ShaunIOW on topic On ESA but getting an inheritance

Gordon wrote: ShaunIOW

I am afraid we cannot give financial advice on the forum, you need to get face to face advice on this matter.

Even then you should be aware that there is "defined" list of acceptable expenditure, the decision will be made on a case by case basis by a DWP Decision Maker.

Gordon

Cheers, it's finding out what is on the "defined" list of acceptable expenditure that I was after.

More
8 years 3 months ago #147455 by Orangeblossom
Replied by Orangeblossom on topic On ESA but getting an inheritance
As an aside i wondered if it might be worth applying for PIP as it is non means tested?

• bro58
8 years 3 months ago #147460 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic On ESA but getting an inheritance

ShaunIOW wrote:

Gordon wrote: ShaunIOW

Even then you should be aware that there is "defined" list of acceptable expenditure, the decision will be made on a case by case basis by a DWP Decision Maker.

Gordon

Cheers, it's finding out what is on the "defined" list of acceptable expenditure that I was after.

Hi SO,

As Gordon says it is not a straightforward matter and there is no definitive list that you speak of.

Here is : Decision Makers Guidance CH52 on "Capital" including "Deprivation of Capital" and "Notional Capital" from : This Page

You really would be best advised to obtain professional independent advice.

As advised by one of our members, there is nothing to stop you making a claim for PIP, which is not liable to any form of means test, or Contribution history restrictions.

See :

PIP Self Test

PIP Points Scoring System

&

PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link down the page)

bro58

More
8 years 3 months ago #147467 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic On ESA but getting an inheritance

ShaunIOW wrote: Cheers, it's finding out what is on the "defined" list of acceptable expenditure that I was after.

Sorry my post should have read

no "defined" list

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.