× Members

home assessment

More
8 years 3 months ago #147519 by DONNA
home assessment was created by DONNA
Hello

I am having a home assessment and would like to know if anyone else had a home visit.

What should I expect how should I act what will they be looking for?

I have had nothing but a nightmare with capita they have no idea what they are doing.

I don't hold out much hope with the person who will be visiting me.

Are they qualified Doctors as I have had a meeting with a Dr before and they had no idea about my condition,

I look forward to hearing form others on the forum

Donna

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #147522 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic home assessment
Donna

Welcome to the forum.

Have a look at the PIP Claim guide, there is a section towards the back that covers the assessment and the questions your are likely to asked. Home assessments are not significantly different from those held at an assessment centre.

Don't feel obliged to do anything specific for the assessment, this includes washing and dressing if you have problems in these areas. You can choose the room for the assessment and there is no need for the assessor to look elsewhere. If it would help, you are entitled to have someone with you.

One last thing, assessors have a habit of turning up early!

Best of luck

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Mrs. Medlam
8 years 3 months ago #147533 by Mrs. Medlam
Replied by Mrs. Medlam on topic home assessment
Hi Donna I too posted earlier that I had a phone call to say I got a home visit on Wednesday of ne t week. It's a really stressful time and I feel like you, good luck whenever your assessment is.

More
8 years 3 months ago #147534 by Zoe
Replied by Zoe on topic home assessment
Donna hi,

I had a home assessment. It was a bad day health-wise, so I did what I always do on bad days which is to say I stayed in bed. Assessor arrived on time, was polite and gave me plenty of time to talk and made sure to ask if there was anything else I'd like to add periodically too. The assessor stayed for a very long time, much more than average centre assessments. We offered to bring aids and adaptations to the assessor from around the house and/or asked if the assessor would like to take a look at some of the adapted rooms; they declined. I did make sure to have all medications with me in the room so the assessor could check them if needed, this proved quite useful. They did not know much about my conditions, but asked functional vs. medical questions most of the time so this was not much of an issue in conversation (no idea how it's going to play out in the report!).

I thought at the time they hadn't noticed much about me physically and were just typing away, but actually the assessor remarked on physical restrictions that were visible to them during the assessment. I did have someone with me who knew me very well and could add to what I was saying if I forgot something etc and found that to be very useful as well, as I did forget to mention several things at first.

If you haven't gone through the process before, just to say I found it very draining and had to rest the rest of the day. Not sure of other people's experiences with regards to this.

I hope it all goes very well for you!

Zoe

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.