× Members

Acquiring Medical evidence

• pluto
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago #147670 by pluto
Acquiring Medical evidence was created by pluto
Hi I recently had my assessment for e.s.a and got no points. I then asked for a M.R
but the result was as expected (no change).I have decided to appeal and this week
sent my appeal request form, because this has coincided with the Christmas holiday
period I was unable yet to acquire further medical evidence which I hope now to get.
so this is a question about how best to approach the g.p to obtain that evidence.
I am worried because I know someone from the same GP who also went through the same
process and when he asked the GP for a letter that he could use to support his claim
the GP told him that they didn't do that no longer because the D.W.P would into touch with
them directly if they needed any evidence/info regarding D.W.P medical matters.
So my question is how is it best to approach my doctor to get this ?,is it better to request
by letter (and what do i put) or is it best to ask in person,
(my g.p surgery used to have 3 doctors but is really pushed as they have lost one of the partners
so even to get into see them on a non emergency appointment takes ~3 + weeks.)
And what to do if he replies the same way as he did to that other person . ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #147671 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Acquiring Medical evidence
Pluto

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

With regard your GP, you need to explain that this an appeal, the DWP have made their Decision and will not contact them for further information, nor will the Tribunal Service as the onus is on the claimant to show that they meet the criteria not for the court to do this.

I have to warn you that this may be a convenient excuse for them to avoid supporting claimants so if they still refuse you can request a copy of your medical records which should include any letter and reports written by those who have provided medical support for you in the past.

Requesting your medical records

Charging for medical records

Make sure that you refer to the PIP Claim guides to make sure you fully understand the criteria against which you are being assessed, your primary goal is to show that you meet these criteria.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• pluto
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #147986 by pluto
Replied by pluto on topic Acquiring Medical evidence
Ok . Thank you Gordon . The receptionist said they will do me a letter but the request has to be in writing stating the information I need. Are there any already done letter templates on the forum that I can just alter to post to my GP.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #147989 by
Replied by on topic Acquiring Medical evidence

pluto wrote: Ok . Thank you Gordon . The receptionist said they will do me a letter but the request has to be in writing stating the information I need. Are there any already done letter templates on the forum that I can just alter to post to my GP.

Hi p,

No, we have no templates for such requests.

If you are to write a letter to your G.P. requesting a letter of support, try and shy away from being seen to "lead" your G.P.

You could ask them to provide confirmation of the medical conditions that they treat you for and the medication that they prescribe.

You could print off copy of The PIP Daily Living and Mobility Activities, which you can find : Here. and in-site ; Here. attach the copy to your letter and ask them to comment on which of the PIP Activities and applicable scoring Descriptors they feel apply to you due to the limitations that you suffer as a result of your medical conditions.

That way, you are not telling them which Activities/Descriptors apply to you, which could be seen as "leading" !!

This also cuts down on the chances of your G.P. writing "Mr X tells me that they suffer xxxx limitations in carrying out Activity xx in Daily Living" or "Mrs X states that they can only walk xx metres Reliably for the Majority of Days."

I am afraid that unless you have a very supportive G.P. you may have to settle for what they choose to write, then elaborate further yourself.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

• pluto
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago #148012 by pluto
Replied by pluto on topic Acquiring Medical evidence
It's for ESA appeal not PIP. So you would just send a list of all descriptors (even if I don't think they apply to me) or just the two I think I should get points on ?

More
8 years 3 months ago #148025 by abcd69
Replied by abcd69 on topic Acquiring Medical evidence

bro58 wrote: This also cuts down on the chances of your G.P. writing "Mr X tells me that they suffer xxxx limitations in carrying out Activity xx in Daily Living" or "Mrs X states that they can only walk xx metres Reliably for the Majority of Days."

I am afraid that unless you have a very supportive G.P. you may have to settle for what they choose to write.

bro58

The above would actually be accepted as GP/Consultants opinion at a Tribunal under a new Directive in Nov. At my Tribunal, I had a Consultant letter which stated that "patient says can only walk a maximum of 20 metres". The Tribunal Dr wasn't happy with it, but my Representative told him he had to accept it as "Consultants Opinion" under the new Directive and Judge agreed. I cant find the Directive on any website, and Representative cant find the memo he read. But it must exist as Judge was aware of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: akenasm

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.