× Members

General benefit rate letter or ESA grantedI

More
8 years 3 months ago #148327 by penny
I returned my completed ESA50 form on the 8th January 2016. Today I received a letter from the DWP Wolverhampton it is headed:

YOUR CLAIM FOR EMPLOYMENT AND SUPPORT ALLOWANCE

A CHANGE IN THE EMPLOYMENT AND SUPPORT ALLOWANCE RATE PAYABLE

We have looked at your claim again following a recent change.

From 11 April 2016 the rates of some social security benefits may change.

From 8 January 2016 your employment and support allowance will be £110.85

Then carries on with the usual guff about NI contributions and changes of circumstances etc.

On the 3rd page it has how ESA has been worked out which is the same as I've been getting for the last 3 years.

I don't know if this means they have accepted my claim, it just seems a bit quick. Does anyone know?

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #148346 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic General benefit rate letter or ESA grantedI
Penny

It's a bit early but this would appear to be the annual uprating letter for ESA, I do not believe it is a Decision Letter.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: penny

More
8 years 3 months ago #148377 by jackmalanak
Replied by jackmalanak on topic General benefit rate letter or ESA grantedI
Penny I'm not for one minute suggesting that Gordon's opinion in incorrect, he has vastly more experience than me in these matters but is there anywhere on the 1st page of the letter that states:
"This is because of: a decision on your capability for work. You have been placed in the Support Group"
The reason I ask is because of a similar letter I received last week about my renewal claim from December, which contained the lines quoted above and I took it for granted to be the final decision.
This was a 5 page letter which was more or less identical to the decision letter I received 3 years ago when I first applied for ESA. The annual uprating letters I've had over the last 2 years are 3 page letters, with no mention of Support Group as above and are usually received in March.
So fingers crossed for both of us and hope my Sherlock moment is correct.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #148382 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic General benefit rate letter or ESA grantedI

jackmalanak wrote: Penny I'm not for one minute suggesting that Gordon's opinion in incorrect, he has vastly more experience than me in these matters but is there anywhere on the 1st page of the letter that states:
"This is because of: a decision on your capability for work. You have been placed in the Support Group"
The reason I ask is because of a similar letter I received last week about my renewal claim from December, which contained the lines quoted above and I took it for granted to be the final decision.
This was a 5 page letter which was more or less identical to the decision letter I received 3 years ago when I first applied for ESA. The annual uprating letters I've had over the last 2 years are 3 page letters, with no mention of Support Group as above and are usually received in March.
So fingers crossed for both of us and hope my Sherlock moment is correct.

It's the fact that the new rate applies from 11 April that makes me think it is an uprating letter, if it was a Decision letter then it would be the date that the Decision was made or the beginning of week 14 of the claim, either way this would not be April.

A Decision may have been made and this letter may be reflective of that but I do not believe that it is a Decision Letter.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Gordon.

More
8 years 3 months ago #148397 by penny
Thanks for the replies,

It is only a 3 page letter and says nothing on page 1 about the support group, only on page 3 where it shows how ESA is worked out.

Thinking about it sensibility, I only posted my ESA50 on the 7th (not the 8th as previously stated)
The earliest the DWP could have received it was the 8th there's no way the would have made a decision that quick.

So unfortunately I think Gordon is right on this one.

Regards
Penny

More
8 years 3 months ago #148411 by ThisGovernmentsGoneToFar
Replied by ThisGovernmentsGoneToFar on topic General benefit rate letter or ESA grantedI
Penny, it is an updating letter there sending them earlier now as well, it is not an award letter, also this year there is no increase only pensioners.

April is when it normally goes up.

I was formely known as (GoingOffMyHeadWithThisGovernment) Won PIP November 2017 ongoing award HR both. Now kept and got my ESA Support group but took a while.
The following user(s) said Thank You: penny

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.