× Members

Pip prosethis aid advice

More
8 years 3 months ago #148396 by John
Pip prosethis aid advice was created by John
Hi

Currently filling in the pip form for my partner, have joined up and read the guides. My partner's issue is a congenital absence of her right hand and has sustained injuries to her left hand/wrist and shoulder. Her consultant deems this dexterity to be permanent on her left hand side and has been operated on several times previously. Anyway my question when explaining why no aids can be used while cooking, as her left hand would not be able to hold a pot of boiling water or drain a pot of vegetables into a colander. Do I have to go as far as explaining why she does not use a prosthesis on her right hand? even with one she would not be able to carry out these tasks.

I just need to know if I need to explain the lack of prosthesis for every question.

This form is so stressful

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #148399 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Pip prosethis aid advice
John

I would not assume that either the assessor or the DWP Decision Maker will be able to make the leap as the limitations that your partner has, so I would explain why they are unable to use an aid whenever it is applicable.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 3 months ago #148400 by John
Replied by John on topic Pip prosethis aid advice
Thank you for the quick reply, looks like I will need to revamp what I have written in each category.

My partner was previously ill health retired by a capita occupational doctor from her employment, although it seems atos will be dealing with the form in our area I hope that including this information will help to be accepted at the form filling stage.

Perhaps wishful thinking!

More
8 years 3 months ago #148445 by John
Hi

Does anyone know any forums that are specially for upper limbs or amputees? Filing in the pip form and can find websites that help/give pointers for people who have other disabilities but really struggling to find any that have working forums for limbs.

Thanks

• bro58
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #148457 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Pip prosethis aid advice

John wrote: Hi

Does anyone know any forums that are specially for upper limbs or amputees? Filing in the pip form and can find websites that help/give pointers for people who have other disabilities but really struggling to find any that have working forums for limbs.

Thanks

Hi J,

I have merged your post of today with your previous topic for continuity.

I am not personally aware of any forum that deal exclusively with upper limbs and amputees, however other members are most welcome to provide feedback if they are.

It is important to understand that whatever a claimant's medical conditions or disabilities are, they will only be awarded PIP if they can score enough points under the highest scoring appropriate PIP Descriptor, for each of the PIP Activities where you would suffer limitations in carrying them out Reliably and Safely for The majority of days.

If you cannot carry out any of the PIP Activities as above, you should explain why, and you should score the appropriate level of points for that Descriptor !

So, you need to tie in the limitations that you suffer to the appropriate scoring PIP Descriptors from each of applicable PIP Activities.

Even though you feel that your limitations may be absolutely apparent, I am afraid that you can not assume that The PIP Assessor nor The DWP PIP Decision Maker will do you any favours regarding this.

You should therefore go into detail of the limitations that you suffer in carrying out the applicable PIP Activities whilst also cross referencing to any documented evidence that you have.

See :

PIP Self Test

How The PIP Points Scoring System Works.

&

PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link down the page)

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by bro58.

More
8 years 3 months ago #148483 by John
Thank you.

Is it ok to ask a couple of questions here? they don't really relate to the thread title, it is about question 9 and 10 per the guide appear to be related to people with disabilities involving hearing and sight issues.

The application form doesn't make it very clear imo. Anyway is there any point in entering anything in relation to anxiety/depression on either of these questions?

Has no problem directly with the ability to speak or read but for instance would not communicate with strangers as find's it stressful causes anxiety/panic attacks, with the reading one because of the medication finds it hard to understand and remember has to read the same thing several times.

I am just not sure if I should include that info there or put them in q11 and q13.

Final question is pip phone call was completed 23/12 form issued but not received to 07/01/16 has to be returned by 23/01/16. Would they give an extension as really not our fault delays with Christmas post or am I better to just finish completing form tonight and posting tomorrow next day delivery.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.