× Members

Help with my case DLA/ PIP 22 years on DLA worried

More
8 years 3 months ago #148428 by holdingout
I really need some help guys I suffer with brain damage since the age of 21 which damaged my cerebellum and my spinal fluid does not go around my brain correctly, it pools up, and causes disruptive problems in my body I am now nearly 60, I also have Ménière's disease, high blood pressure, and intermittent memory loss of where I am, I got my wife to help me write this and so need some help with what may occur with change over from DLA to PIP when it finally comes my way.

I was diagnosed in 1996 and signed off on DLA for the whole of that time up to now, during that time I felt like I was worthless, and asked my GP to let me sign off and do a little part time work from home, self - employed, just writing a book once and then it was placed on amazon, and It made me feel like I was still worth something despite all my medical problems, and of course my DLA and carers carried on throughout this time.

But over the last 2 years I have been growing much more forgetful, clumsy, dizzy, falling over, and headaches from hell, also several times have not known surroundings I am in even though I should know because of many times being there, I have problems all of a sudden doing the ABC and need to read a books page at least 4 times to even get a little information sink in.

Because of this I felt like I would let the GP sign me off for good again, but am worried it will spark an earlier PIP change over test from DLA.

I have had mobility car and full care with my wife being my carer for over 22 years now, and am so scared that like many I could lose my support all because of rubbish pip assessments.
My question is would it be better for me to wait until called for pip change from DLA assessment or will it make no difference if I now come off self - employment , would doing that make my pip quicker, or does it make no difference because I have been on DLA and carers for over two decades.

My medical situation ruined my life and daily life is so stressful for me, with -out having to worry all the time about pip to DLA, so does anyone know what would happen in my circumstances if my GP signed me off work for good. I have no Idea when I will be seen, I am on indefinite award the last two decades.

Please help if you can. I am in a right state

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #148443 by Gordon
holdingout

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

PIP and DLA are not out of work benefits so there is no specific requirement for a claimant to notify the DWP if they stop or start work,

If your conditions have changed then there is a requirement on you to notify the DWP, however, they tend not to be bothered by the claimant failing to report a deterioration, the usual issue in these circumstances is whether it would result in a change of award. If you do and you are in the UK mainland then any notification to the DWP will result in an invitation to claim PIP.

PIP has significantly stricter criteria and the assessment approach is entirely different, whilst some will be better of under PIP, a significant number will be worse.

I would have a look at the PIP Claim guide with a critical eye to see what level of award you might receive and consider your options from there.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 3 months ago #148451 by holdingout
thank you Gordon my DR said he would sign me off for good, but that would mean I would then have to claim income support and drop my tax credit, would this not then be reported and make my eventual change from DLA to PIP happen quicker ?? this is my main question, I am sure with my 22 years of medical history I would get the same on PIP as DLA, but am not in an hurry to have the assessment because of all of the things I have read else where and on the news and here.

I need to sign off for good now because I fear I might just succumb to my medical problems, but because of above am worried that when applying for income support and my housing benefit again, of which I have always had payed to me because of my illness I have always had full help with rent and rates, but coupled with a full tax credit, if I take my GPs offer of signed of for good, will going with certificate to job centre after signing off tax credits promt a quicker DLA to PIP assessment which is my main question or rather my husband who is of course unwell.

More
8 years 3 months ago #148461 by Gordon
holdingout

OK, you would have to apply for ESA, not Income Support, but even if you do this it does not mean that your current DLA claim will be looked at.

Unless you report a change, then you will be invited to claim PIP at some time over the next 2-3 years on a random basis.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 3 months ago #148467 by holdingout
thank you very much for your help

More
8 years 3 months ago #148475 by holdingout
Ok Gordon I looked into this, but we were originally worried about getting an earlier pip assessment which we know will come along one day, and most we read about are unjust.

And it now seems if my husband takes his GP advice and calls it a day before he actually kills him self, it will instantly mean a test for ESA , the one thing we dread, so don't know what to do, he's better off staying on as self employed, but because he makes very little because of his health there's a new worry on the horizion which changes rates on tax credits, he gets the full amount owing to his disabilities, but were unsure if the inland revenue would bring him down to the 2k rate a year on tax credits, we understand, or think we do, that because he's been on the old system of tax credits for 19 years, that maybe he gets to stay on the rate he's on now.

I feel so sorry for him, because he's so unwell, and we don't know which way to turn, its a joke, he could be signed of for good in an heart beat, which is what I want so much for him, but then you have to report to some group of which I do not understand why, his GP and 6 MRI 4 CT 12 XRAYS should say enough, so no ESA for us, we will have to stay put.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.