× Members

PIP Interview Fear

• rayisfun@hotmail.com
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago #148715 by rayisfun@hotmail.com
PIP Interview Fear was created by rayisfun@hotmail.com
I have been receiving DLA middle rate care and lower rate mobility for about 7 years. In Oct last year I had to apply for ESA and PIP with the help of the CAB. I now receive ESA of £134.95 a week after the severely disabled component was added on when the DWP reviewed my claim recently. What group does that place me in? The DWP never explained in the letter they sent me.

I have a PIP interview next Friday and I'm feeling extremely sick with worry about it. The last DLA interview I had was stopped because I broke down during it and couldn't carry on. I'm very afraid this will happen again. I suffer from depression, panic attacks, anxiety and OCD which fluctuates in intensity. I've had it for many years and find it difficult to explain how often it effects me because the symptoms are always there but just vary in intensity. I can't remember what it was like to be well before I had my breakdown. I'm currently taking medication but had to stop an intensive CBT course for OCD recently because it made me feel worse. I eventually hope to recover but the thought of this interview is really worrying me. It's at 9am which means travelling during rush hour in London which I'm very worried about but if I book a taxi and it doesn't turn up or arrive on time then I may miss my appointment so I feel I have no choice but to use public transport which is usually reliable. A friend is coming with me which is really helpful.

Sorry if I'm rambling but I suppose I'm seeking reassurance if that's possible from those who've been to these PIP assessments in case I feel the urge to run out of the room or do something silly like that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #148763 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Interview Fear
Spectralis

I'll let other members comment on their experience but on a practical note, there is a section at the back of the PIP Claim guide that covers the assessment and the questions you are likely to be asked, I would also strongly recommend your having someone with you at the assessment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 3 months ago #148773 by Orangeblossom
Replied by Orangeblossom on topic PIP Interview Fear
I'm not sure if it's too late but would have thought they would have given you a home assessment. If you have a medical professional such as CPN who could contact them on your behalf would have thought that would have been done for you. If going in rush hour is not good could you re-arrange your appt?

More
8 years 3 months ago #148791 by helsbelsx
Replied by helsbelsx on topic PIP Interview Fear
Mine too was arranged too for harrow at 9am - they made out they couldnt change this. I told them they had to as i care for my autistic/adhd son and no one else to take him to school. Bad enough they haven't offered a home appointment in the first place for people with severe MH problems. I would have been quite happy with a home assessment, yes it would have been difficult but not half the amount of anxiety of having to travel somewhere to be seen etc. Hope you get a home assessment/the appointment moved at the very least.

• rayisfun@hotmail.com
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago #148917 by rayisfun@hotmail.com
Replied by rayisfun@hotmail.com on topic PIP Interview Fear
Thanks for your replies. I didn't think to ask for a home visit. I'll try but apart from my GP, medication and counselling services I don't receive any other help. When I have a crisis I usually get taken to A&E because it's often physical symptoms like chest pains and breathing difficulties. The urges to harm myself I deal with alone because I'm scared of being sectioned and nothing stops them when they flare up anyway. I'll ask my GP for some beta-blockers to take on the day as that might help. Maybe I should go there as is rather than sedated though? My friend agreed to book a taxi extra early so we'll get there on time. I'm not sure how I'll be on the day but I'm barely sleeping atm and having nightmares when I do so I'm worried I'll just try to get through it as quickly as possible or break down. I know I need to hold it together to answer the questions as fully as possible because this is what I'm being judged on but when I'm in a stressful situation the anxiety and panic take over.

More
8 years 3 months ago #148952 by TheHud
Replied by TheHud on topic PIP Interview Fear

Spectralis wrote: Thanks for your replies. I didn't think to ask for a home visit. I'll try but apart from my GP, medication and counselling services I don't receive any other help. When I have a crisis I usually get taken to A&E because it's often physical symptoms like chest pains and breathing difficulties. The urges to harm myself I deal with alone because I'm scared of being sectioned and nothing stops them when they flare up anyway. I'll ask my GP for some beta-blockers to take on the day as that might help. Maybe I should go there as is rather than sedated though? My friend agreed to book a taxi extra early so we'll get there on time. I'm not sure how I'll be on the day but I'm barely sleeping atm and having nightmares when I do so I'm worried I'll just try to get through it as quickly as possible or break down. I know I need to hold it together to answer the questions as fully as possible because this is what I'm being judged on but when I'm in a stressful situation the anxiety and panic take over.

My son has the same problems as you, so sorry I know how difficult it is. He has just had a letter for ESA to say they have brought his review forward to nov 2016 instead of the original 2019 from last review. In the past we have managed to avoid all assessments vis GP, therapist, mental health service letters. I suspect this time we will be in for the full works. He only got Pip lower mobility, no care award but did get the ESA support group. Good luck and please post when you are able. :)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.