× Members

DWP & Capita questions

• Hagsbird
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago #148960 by Hagsbird
DWP & Capita questions was created by Hagsbird
HI all, I had an appointment for a face to face assessment back in November, this was cancelled by capita the day before, no reason given. I had a phone call in the New Year saying my new appointment has also been cancelled, just as well as I knew nothing about it & the letter arrived 5 days after the said appointment date. The lady on the phone said not to do anything & they would be in touch with another date. So last week a letter came from the DWP saying that they have decided to extend my award for DLA & carers allowance & if this changes they will be in touch. I have been away at a relatives as I've not been too good & had a nasty virus so stayed there & my son contacted me this morning to say a letter had arrived from Capita so I told him to open it & he read it to me & it said that I was to attend a assessment at 9am this morning :ohmy:
It was now nearly 9.15am so the letter arrived after the appointment anyway. My stepdad has gone to my house to get the letter & now I've seen it I can see that it says the appointment was to be at my home address. My confusion is the letter from capita is dated 11.01.16 but the letter from the DWP is dated 19.01.06 so wouldn't the DWP letter over ride the capita one & maybe there's been a communication lapse (again). I have spent nearly an hour trying to ring capita today but to no avail I remain on hold listening to, thank you for holding, your call is important to us we will be with you shortly! I gave up as I can't afford that phone bill so I have emailed them instead & had an automated reply back saying, someone will be in touch in two days.. It did say at the start of the capita phone call that they have had a technical error with appointment letters going out so I am hoping this is all another mess up by capita & I stick with the letter from the DWP! Its really rather stressful all this which is not good on top of already not great health! Any help or advice or if anyone else has had this would be very gratefully received.
Thank you & good luck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #148977 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DWP & Capita questions
Hagsbird

I'm afraid the DWP letter is a standard one and has nothing to do with the assessment appointments.

Did you tell the DWP or Capita that you would not be at your normal place of residence? If you did not then you have placed yourself at a considerable disadvantage!

Was today's appointment the first that you had not attended which was your fault? If it was then you should be issued a second appointment, however, if was not then there is a good chance that your file will be returned to the DWP and you will have to explain why you did not attend, if your reasons are not accepted then the DWP will close your PIP and DLA claims.

I would write to the DWP office that is dealing with your PIP claim to tell them about the appointments that had been cancelled by Capita, they have a bad habit of mixing your missed appointments with their cancelled ones.

Other than that all you can do is re-arrange the appointment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Hagsbird
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago #148985 by Hagsbird
Replied by Hagsbird on topic DWP & Capita questions
Hi Gordon, the first I knew anything about today's appointment was when the letter arrived this morning & that came after the appointment time. I have only been at a relatives for a few days, every appointment I have so far had with them they have cancelled so I haven't missed or changed any myself it's all been done by them.
I have just had a phone call off capita via my mobile & the lady said 'I am just ringing to inform you that today's appointment has been cancelled as the assessor is unavailable' this was at 3.15 which is absolutely crazy for them to inform me now 6 hours after my supposed appointment!
I'm just about at the end of my tether with all this & feel like just saying to heck with it all, I have health & mobility issues which I have the backing of medical professions yet I feel like i am waiting to be scrutinised by some random stranger & its not helping at all!

More
8 years 3 months ago #148999 by Gordon
Hagsbird

I would still write to the DWP about the cancelled appointments, we have seen claimants blamed for failing to attend appointments cancelled by the Assessment Provider and Capita seem to be worst for doing this.

AS to the cancelled appointments themselves, yo can make a complaint to Capita

www.capita-pip.co.uk/contact-us.aspx

and you might want to think about contacting your MP

Contacting your MP

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hagsbird

• Hagsbird
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago #149042 by Hagsbird
Replied by Hagsbird on topic DWP & Capita questions
Thank you Gordon.
I did ring the DWP this morning & thankfully they answer their phones! The lady said the letter I had from them was just because my original award would have ended in December 2015 so it is just to say I will continue to get my money till I have my assessment.

I am aware of major staffing issues with capita in this area so I wonder if that may be the issue with all the cancelled appointments as I believe the appointments are made somewhere else.

Can you confirm for me that they do need to give so many days notice in writing for an appointment? This is so far something they have not done as any letter's I have had from them have all arrived late one 5 days late.
Thank you for the links
Hagsbird

More
8 years 3 months ago #149062 by Gordon
Hagsbird

I'm afraid the seven days written notice includes postage time, it takes no account of late delivery.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: Hagsbird

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.