× Members

Should I apply for PIP early?

More
8 years 3 months ago #149041 by janice
Should I apply for PIP early? was created by janice
Hi, my 18yr old son has autism and learning disability and has had DLA high care, High mobility. He is not involved with any professionals but he is still in school. In Feb last year I went to tribunal and won to get him the high rate mobility. I got up to date reports and assessments for the tribunal.
He is not due to apply for PIP until sept 2017 (I am aware this can change). My question is should I apply now with all his up to date reports and assessments as in 2017 he will no longer be in school so will not have anyone to get reports from. Any advice much appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #149061 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Should I apply for PIP early?

janice wrote: Hi, my 18yr old son has autism and learning disability and has had DLA high care, High mobility. He is not involved with any professionals but he is still in school. In Feb last year I went to tribunal and won to get him the high rate mobility. I got up to date reports and assessments for the tribunal.
He is not due to apply for PIP until sept 2017 (I am aware this can change). My question is should I apply now with all his up to date reports and assessments as in 2017 he will no longer be in school so will not have anyone to get reports from. Any advice much appreciated

This is a decision that only you can make but you should do some investigations first.

PIP is intended to reduce the disability budget by at least 20% so a lot of claimants are receiving reduced or even no award on transfer.

PIP has different criteria from DLA and the assessment process is significantly different. As an example; DLA Higher Rate Care is awarded because the claimant has care needs both day and night, whereas PIP awards it because the claimant has scored 12 points or more, so someone with moderate issues may not longer qualify for the higher award.

I would suggest that you have a look at the PIP Claim guide to see what your son might score.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: janice

More
8 years 3 months ago #149093 by janice
Replied by janice on topic Should I apply for PIP early?
Thank you Gordon I'll do that.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.