× Members

Consultant letter for ESA

More
8 years 3 months ago #149155 by RaggedRobyn
Consultant letter for ESA was created by RaggedRobyn
Hello I wonder if anyone can offer any advice on this - I have complex mental health issues and am on ESA (Support Group). Since moving to a new area I pay for my own psychotherapy (with my benefit) as what I need to actually recover as opposed to just being supported, is not available on NHS.
My question is - would a new claim for ESA be more likely to succeed (when I am reassessed) if a consultant psychiatrist diagnosed me, wrote to my GP where records are kept etc? Would a letter from my (highly experienced) psychotherapist carry the same weight as she cannot formally diagnose? My GP is supportive but can only go by the records she has which is not being under a consultant for a number of years.
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #149190 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Consultant letter for ESA

HelenC wrote: Hello I wonder if anyone can offer any advice on this - I have complex mental health issues and am on ESA (Support Group). Since moving to a new area I pay for my own psychotherapy (with my benefit) as what I need to actually recover as opposed to just being supported, is not available on NHS.
My question is - would a new claim for ESA be more likely to succeed (when I am reassessed) if a consultant psychiatrist diagnosed me, wrote to my GP where records are kept etc? Would a letter from my (highly experienced) psychotherapist carry the same weight as she cannot formally diagnose? My GP is supportive but can only go by the records she has which is not being under a consultant for a number of years.
Thanks.

It really depends on what they write, sometimes no evidence is better than a poorly written report. I suppose there could be some concern that as you paying for the service you have more control over the content of the report than if an NHS Consultant wrote it, but we haven't had much feedback on the forum about this so it's difficult to comment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: RaggedRobyn

More
8 years 2 months ago #149191 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic Consultant letter for ESA
Hi Helen

I would think that being assessed and diagnosed by a consultant psychiatrist would be a wise step to take; any supportive evidence is valuable when you are applying for a benefit. At the same time, a letter from your psychotherapist, who has a great deal of knowledge of you and your condition and how it affects you would also be strongly supportive. She is a medical professional, and knowledgeable, whether she can diagnose or not.

When it comes to supportive evidence - the more the better!! Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RaggedRobyn

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.