× Members

DLA to PIP Home assessment

More
8 years 3 months ago #149263 by Linnty
DLA to PIP Home assessment was created by Linnty
Received a letter announcing my PIP assessment was to be held on Thursday 21st Jan with only a weeks notice. I already had something going on prebooked and paid for. I was shocked to find you get only one chance at rearranging, and when I phoned up they were only just bordering on politeness, and was told they'd send a letter with a new date. No chance to discuss a mutually convenient day - what you'd expect from any one else. I was also very surprised to see it was to be a home assessment. Didn't know whether to be pleased there'd be no struggling with travel or to worry about what they'd say about how I manage at home.

New letter with the date set for this last Monday. Fortunately no issues with it. It was a female assessor who let slip she was a nurse but no idea whether she had any experience with how neurological conditions affect you which is the cause of my problems with speech, co-ordination, weak left side, no balance and walking. After detailing everything in answer to her questions which was exhausting and traumatic with talking so much (at least that was demonstrated) she started the physical exam. Only got as far as trying to raise my arms which brought on tremors and shaking and she refused to ask me to do anything else. She estimated herself how far away the car was parked on the drive to see how far I could walk with my walker, absolutely under 20 metres so just hoping her estimations are accurate. Quite worried about that one as she hadn't seen me try to get up or attempt walking even inside my home! She never asked to see my walker or wheelchairs. (I have a lightweight folding one and a heavier duty one.)

I had only just obtained GP supporting letter and a copy of my consultants last letter on the Friday with no time to send this to DWP ahead of time. She read both and said oh that's new on reading about my ataxia. I didn't know some of my symptoms can be grouped under that label not having seen these letters before when I was filling in my forms and had just described speech, balance and co-ordination issues.

Will these be discounted now she's seen this new word describing them despite my having had all this under that name since I became ill?

I asked her to forward those two documents (they are copies) with her report. She said that's sent electronically and tried to give them back to me, but reluctantly agreed to forward them. This has preyed on my mind so yesterday I copied the letters again and rang DWP for the right address to send supporting evidence to and sent them recorded to the address given. I'm hoping these will be taken into account properly as I am very lucky with a very supportive GP. Hope you are able to reassure me on the points I've raised. Sorry for it being so long. Now just have to wait the 6-8 weeks she said it could be for a decision

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #149283 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic DLA to PIP Home assessment
Hi Linnty

Until you get a decision, there is very little to be done.

What you can do, I think, is make a note very carefully of all the issues you have mentioned here; that part of the examination actually did not take place because of tremors etc; that she estimated the distance you could manage to walk without actually seeing you try to walk at all. That she did not see you use your wheelchair; and that she had no knowledge of your ataxia (I wouldn't worry about that, it was your consultant who used the phrase, you are not a medical professional and can not be expected to account for terms used by those who are).

You could check to see whether in fact your documents have been received at the proper address - that way someone has to acknowledge them or give you the opportunity to resubmit them if they have been 'lost in the post'.

And all you really can do now is wait and see what decision is reached. You have done the best you can. I hope you are successful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Linnty

More
8 years 2 months ago #150970 by Linnty
Replied by Linnty on topic DLA to PIP Home assessment
Just received a letter apologising for the delay in giving a decision - is this usual? Then saying they've now got all the information and reports they need (I'm glad I sent copies separately) and they'll let me know when they've make a decision. Just so stressful waiting.

More
8 years 2 months ago #150985 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA to PIP Home assessment

Linnty wrote: Just received a letter apologising for the delay in giving a decision - is this usual? Then saying they've now got all the information and reports they need (I'm glad I sent copies separately) and they'll let me know when they've make a decision. Just so stressful waiting.

Yes this is perfectly normal, there appears to have been a slow down on Decisions since New Year and this letter is just to say that they are still processing it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Linnty

• Mrs. Medlam
8 years 2 months ago #150999 by Mrs. Medlam
Replied by Mrs. Medlam on topic DLA to PIP Home assessment
I've been waiting 5 weeks and I also had a letter 2 weeks saying they will let me know in time, the wait goes on

More
8 years 2 months ago #151088 by Linnty
Replied by Linnty on topic DLA to PIP Home assessment
Thank you Gordon, and Mrs Bedlam - I'll update this once I hear anything. Am now facing having to go to a separate assessment for Blue Badge as that runs out March 16 as it was tied to my DLA award and that I really do need.

(Have just promoted your so very helpful site and detailed guides to my son-in-law who is just starting a claim for PIP for his health issues. )

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.