× Members

Couples claiming ESA

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #149324 by barbaraposner
Couples claiming ESA was created by barbaraposner
I was thinking of letting my partner move in with me. We are both in the support group for ESA. I realise we will both be about £30 worse off (£60 per week in all) but I wouldn't be happy doing it unless it were possible to have the ESA paid into our separate bank accounts half and half. Is it possible to ask the DWP to do this?
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #149361 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Couples claiming ESA
Hi BeePee,

If you both have contributory ESA it would continued to be paid to each of you and it is up to you which account it is paid into. If the claims are both income-related one of you would be named on the claim and would receive some money for the other. This would be paid into the bank account of the named claimant.

I must admit that I am not sure what would happen if one of you had a contributory claim and the other income related! In any event, if either of you have an IR claim you should get face to face benefits advice before making any changes.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: barbaraposner

More
8 years 2 months ago #149368 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Couples claiming ESA
BeePee

Just to add to the advice already given.

If one of you has a Contribution Based claim and the other an Income Related one then, then the ESA(IR) will be increased to the couples rate, but the ESA(CB) will be treated as income and deducted.

So the best scenario is if you are both receiving ESA(CB), if one or both of you is receiving ESA(IR) then then the only difference would be who has the ESA(IR) couples claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta, barbaraposner

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.