× Members

The dreaded ESA re-assessment

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #149411 by Annis
The dreaded ESA re-assessment was created by Annis
Just got the letter/form today. I note that when talking about documents to send to back up your claim, they keep emphasising 'documents that you already have', and 'don't get any new or specially prepared information'. I was going to get my rheumatologist to confirm the ongoing problems I am having with my medication - I wonder why they are discouraging people from doing something like that. Anyone have any idea?
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #149431 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic The dreaded ESA re-assessment

Annis wrote: Just got the letter/form today. I note that when talking about documents to send to back up your claim, they keep emphasising 'documents that you already have', and 'don't get any new or specially prepared information'. I was going to get my rheumatologist to confirm the ongoing problems I am having with my medication - I wonder why they are discouraging people from doing something like that. Anyone have any idea?

Hi A,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

Yes, we are aware of this "guidance" with regards to providing evidence to support your ESA50 !

Take no notice, you are perfectly within your rights to send all and any evidence that you have that supports your ESA re-assessment.

I think that we can draw our own conclusions regarding this "Guidance" it could be quite innocent in that they are trying to cut back on the amount of "paper" for the good of the planet, or it could be to confuse claimants and to deter them from sending all relevant supporting documents.

The important issue is to treat this re-assessment as if it was your first assessment.

Do not assume that the Assessor will have access to any historic evidence that you may have provided previously, they may not even be aware which ESA "Group" you are in.

If you want them to consider any evidence, you should obtain it yourself, and post it with The ESA50, do not rely on them contacting your G.P. or other treating HCP, even if you request that they do so.

They have no legal obligation to do this and seldom do !

The more current a letter of support or document is, the better, but older evidence could be backed up with some sort of current documentation that indicates that you are still suffering from the same conditions with the same level of resulting limitations.

You may want to consider : Using The PDF Version Of The ESA50 Questionnaire

Whilst referring to the guides on this page, 2nd & 3rd links down :

ESA Claims Guides

See also :

How long do I have to complete the ESA50?

ESA50 too big for the envelope

&

Sending Documents to the DWP or Maximus. (aka CHDA, aka HAAS.)

You might want to Bookmark/Favourite this page in your browser, that way you can find your topic again easily so that you can pose any further queries that may crop up by replying to this topic.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.