× Members

PIP - why have they given me a home assessment?

More
8 years 2 months ago #149416 by JenJJ
I am on indefinite DLA. I put in a very thorough PIP application following the guides with lots of details of activities, aids and the times that I can and cannot do them.

I have just today received a letter telling me that I will have an assessor come to my home on Wednesday.

I'm confused about this because I have not requested it and have told them in my claim that I do get out and I have read about people needing home visits, not being able to get them.

I can't help thinking that I gave them so much detail that it has worked against me and they are coming to try to catch me out. My ESA assessment with Atos was horrible and he was a bully and for a doctor, he treated me in an appalling way. The thought of him or someone like him coming into my home is making me sick. This is my sanctuary.

Anyway I have asked someone to be here with me. Does anything different happen with home assessments? Do I have to allow them around the house? Do I have to make demonstrations of carrying out activities?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #149435 by shelam
Hi Millhouse

First of all, I have no idea why you should have been offered a home assessment; so far as I am aware, you usually have to request this, and usually need a back up letter from your GP to confirm that it is necessary. Perhaps it isn't Atos who is carrying out the assessment; whatever, I wouldn't worry about it.

Home assessment is just the same as any face to face assessment except (of course) it is carried out in your own home. The only rights the assessor has are the same rights as any visitor to your home. You ask them to conduct the interview in a room where you feel comfortable; you do not give them a 'guided tour!' you have someone who you trust with you all of the time; if you are asked to do something you are unsure of, or are uncomfortable with, you explain that you are not able to do it. They have no right to inspect your home, or go into any room you do not wish them to enter. They cannot force you to do anything you do not want to do.

Face to face assessment is carried out to ensure that what you are claiming is your medical condition in your application is, in fact, true. Nothing more. I would suggest that you try very hard to just accept the assessor as a casual visitor to your home; be polite and civil, but don't offer more information than you are comfortable with. It sounds as though your application form is thorough and honest. The very worst that could happen (and hopefully it won't) is that you are refused the benefit. In which case, you ask for mandatory recon and then if that fails, you appeal.

Please try not to worry. (easier said than done, I know). If you need any further information, please contact us again. I hope all goes well for you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.