× Members

PIP transfer straight after moving area-defer?

More
8 years 2 months ago #150674 by enigma75
Hello everyone,

I moved area less than 2 weeks ago, from a B postcode to an SA postcode, and although the DWP reassured me that moving would have no effect on my claim, within 5 days of receiving my change of address letter they wrote to me at my new address telling me that my indefinite DLA award is ending and I have to apply for PIP. Possibly just a huge coincidence, but given that they clearly know I've only just made a big move, it seems very unfair to strike me with a PIP claim so soon after.

Could I possibly ask for a deferment? I don't think I'll have a fair hearing because I haven't recovered from the move yet, I haven't had a chance to access local support services, and I haven't been able to see my new GP yet (although I do have an appointment in about 10 days). My medical records are still in my old area too.

I'm wary of phoning the number in the letter in case they take that as me starting the new claim, but I don't know who else to call to ask for a few months' grace - assuming they would even do that for me.

I feared this would happen, and now I'm worried that my overdue ESA assessment will be triggered by the move as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #150693 by shelam
Hi Cat

It probably is just a coincidence; everyone within certain age limits is being 'invited' to apply for PIP, it's likely your turn just came at the wrong time.

If you phone the number on your letter and explain your circumstances, they may give you an extension; you will have to explain that you haven't accessed local services, medical or otherwise, yet, and will have a great deal of difficulty completing the PIP form without help.

Since you've already established yourself with a new GP, try and get an earlier appointment and discuss with him/her obtaining your old medical records as soon as possible. That way your new GP will be able to assess your medical condition and be able to offer support if necessary.

When you are ready to begin with your application, the guides here will be invaluable to you; if you need help with the application please contact us again. Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: enigma75

More
8 years 2 months ago #152037 by enigma75
Replied by enigma75 on topic PIP transfer straight after moving area-defer?
Thank you again, Shelam. It's so fast a turnaround that I suspect my letter to them triggered an automatic "invitation" on the "PIP journey" (interesting euphemisms). But to have a moving house letter be one of those triggers, if that is indeed what happened, is vicious.

The DWP have refused me an extension, even though my GP supported me in the request :-(. So I have to go through this distressing procedure at a time when I'm in an even more vulnerable situation than usual. Fortunately, my new GP has said she will write a supporting letter once my notes arrive, and my consultant will write as well.

I've been a B&W member for a few years, and I agree the guides are invaluable. I don't come to the forums very often because I find the whole thing quite triggering - plus I can't offer practical advice that the mods aren't already offering anyway. I have however recommended to dozens of ill and disabled people over the years that they join. I'm so grateful for you all at B&W, and even though I'm already suffering a deterioration of symptoms as a direct result of the stress from this letter, I'm hopeful that what I can manage with the support I do have will be enough.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.