× Members

Help needed. Home assessment refused.

More
8 years 2 months ago #150779 by LKing1223
Help needed. Home assessment refused. was created by LKing1223
Hi,

I asked to be moved from the WRAG to the support group, as my illness has gotten worse.
In the past I have been given a home assessment, my last assessment was just over a year ago and the benefit dr came to my home.

I filled in that (awful soul destroying) form and got an appointment, then was told they needed a fax from GP for a home visit so wrote to my GP and asked for one.

I was charged £25 for the fax.

The Centre for Health and Disability Assessments (which is what the people dealing with me are calling themselves) have denied my request for a home visit. While I got different answers form different people I spoke to the final answer I got from the PR person who phoned me back was that the wording of my GP’s fax wasn’t right. That it said that I said I wasn’t able to travel that far. Not that my GP said I wasn’t able to.

So I asked my GP to write another fax. I have just been told by their secretary that my GP believes the wording of the fax is adequate and they wont be sending another one.

I am reasonably new patient to this GP and have only seem them a couple of times, and I expected to be asked to come in for an appointment before they sent the first fax. I wasn’t

I don’t know if I should be angry at the GP - they did write a fax and charge me for it. They wouldn’t have done that if they didn’t believe I should get a home visit would they?

Or if I should be angry at the Centre for Health and Disability Assessments, are they using any excuse to not give me a home visit?

I simply don’t know what to do. I have had the assessment pushed back as far as I can.

Do any of you have any advice or know what to do?

In desperate need for help

lme

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #150788 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Help needed. Home assessment refused.
lme

This is a difficult one, whatever your GP may believe, clearly CHDA (aka Maximus) do not agree with them.

You can try escalating the problem to the Practice Manager, I think this is reasonable given that you have paid for the letter. However, this may still not result in a more explicit letter, as it really depends on your GPs views of your limitations; do they really believe that you could attend at a location closer to you than the one booked, or do they believe that you cannot attend at any location?

Turning it around slightly, have CHDA accepted that you have limitation as a result of the letter? Is there in actual fact an office that is closer? if they have simply booked you into the same office then they are completely ignoring the content of the letter so the wording of the letter was inadequate!

The only other thing I can suggest is that you contact your MP about the issue

Contacting your MP

Please be aware, if you have already re-arranged the appointment once, then your failing to attend the next booked appointment could result in your file being returned to the DWP for failing to attend and this can result in your ESA claim being closed.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 2 months ago #150794 by LKing1223
Replied by LKing1223 on topic Help needed. Home assessment refused.
Hi Gordon

I don’t know what my GP thinks, I have seen them only a couple of times and I thought they understood my illness (and all the issues that come with it), but maybe I was wrong. I don’t know what they put in the fax they sent.

But surely any fax from a GP requesting a home visit for a patient should be enough? I can’t imagine they’d write a fax for a home visit if they didn’t think it was necessary.

In my form I tell them I can only come to an appointment if it is nearby (ie within about 20mins travel) and in the afternoon. And even then it will take me weeks to ‘recover’. And yet they booked me in to a center more than an hour away and at 9am.

The two centers nearest to me are at least a hour away, and the damage to my health would be huge. After all my illness is much worse for weeks after attending a meeting at the Job Centre and that is only 5mins down the road, and this is why I have been asked to be moved to the support group.

I tried to explain to the CHDA that I am mostly housebound, and I can’t remember the last time I was well enough to leave the house for anything other that appointments. But was told that mostly housebound isn;t enough.

My appointment is for a week on Monday - I wonder if that is enough time to contact my MP. I will try.

More
8 years 2 months ago #150815 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Help needed. Home assessment refused.
Lme

I can only go by what you are posting but in your original post you said

the final answer I got from the PR person who phoned me back was that the wording of my GP’s fax wasn’t right. That it said that I said I wasn’t able to travel that far.

and from your latest post

In my form I tell them I can only come to an appointment if it is nearby (ie within about 20mins travel) and in the afternoon.

The two coupled together suggests that CHDA may be treating this as an issue of distance and not that you cannot go to any assessment centre.

I'm guessing (again from your posts) that you do not have a copy of the letter that your GP sent, despite your paying for it. You need to understand exactly what it says so that if there are issues you can address them.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Katy
8 years 2 months ago #150857 by Katy
Replied by Katy on topic Help needed. Home assessment refused.
Hi Ime,

I don't know what your condition is/are, but did you make it clear in your application form that you are physically unable to get to the appointment yourself due to.... symptoms. When I recently was told that I had to come off DLA and apply for PIP, I put on the form that as I can't walk without holding onto someone for support and even then it's only for about five metres, it's very difficult to even reach a vehicle. I also told them that I'm on home oxygen but don't have portable, so I would be extremely breathless on arrival at their centre. I said that I would need a public toilet near their front door as the breathlessness/lack of oxygen makes me feel as though I need to empty my bladder. I also told them that I would require a bariatric (heavyweight) wheelchair waiting at the door as I cannot manage the steps in their reception area. There might have been one or two more things, but I made it so clear that my physical limitations would make attendance at a centre almost impossible, and put the onus on them to supply a suitable wheelchair, that they granted me a home visit. I didn't have to get anything from my GP. It does sound like your GP doesn't know how to answer their forms/questions and probably doesn't understand about the "descriptors" etc, hence them being rather touchy about you letting them know that they didn't do it "properly".

Could you try appealing that decision by adding in lots of physical/mental/emotional reasons you can't reach the appointment and see if that makes a difference?

Hope this helps in some way. Good luck!

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #152057 by LKing1223
Replied by LKing1223 on topic Help needed. Home assessment refused.
Hi again,

Just an update, I contacted my MP and have now been granted a home visit, while this assessment is far from over it is a huge relief that this small bit is now sorted.

Thank you Gordon for suggesting the MP and all your advice.

Thank you Katy, while I don't need oxygen or a wheelchair, your right I could have made it much more clear, exactly why I can't get to the assessment centre so far away. And how damaging to my health it would be for weeks afterwards. I was already planning a letter (a why I didn't go to the appointment letter) based on your suggestion with all these things in it when I got the phone call yesterday.

I’m feeling like a huge weight has been lifted.

Thank you again guys.

lme

P.S. I think at some point I will want to write a complaint about how CHDA have treated me - wrong phone numbers, being given wrong information, not being sent the correct letters, having to chase them, etc. Do you know who would be best to write a complaint to? Would it be the DWP? Or CHDA themselves?
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by bro58.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katy

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.