× Members

APPOINTEE/CARER PIP CLAIM

• kacey
  • Topic Author
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #151218 by kacey
APPOINTEE/CARER PIP CLAIM was created by kacey
Hi all, first time posting, hope I've done it right, ok so today I phoned to claim PIP for my son who has just turned 16 and is currently getting DLA, easy phone call lasted about 10 minutes and basically had to answer as if I was my son making the call, simple information nothing to worry about.

First stage complete, now the worry begins, there's nothing physically wrong with him, he has learning difficulties (due to a meningitis infection when he was a baby), which I can and have in previous DLA claims successfully explained and been awarded but I fear its going to be more difficult with PIP. Partly due to his age and also as he has no need to attend a doctor or any kind of health professional there is not really any 'evidence' that can be provided other than the fact that meningitis caused his delayed learning and my account of how it affects him.

He does attend an Additional Support for Learning School, however I fear that some or all of any information they might be asked to provide may be contradictory to what I will state as kids often behave completely different at school, I'm also worried about a face to face if called, as his appointee I'm not sure what would be expected which I know is a bit premature but can't help thinking about it.

His age, I mean things like cooking a meal, I know he couldn't cook a meal for himself but is it not expected that although he should be able to at his age, as his mother I'm going to be the one cooking for him anyway (probably a silly thought but this is what's going through my mind) anyway, any thoughts or opinions appreciated and I'll try to update as and when (that's if I've managed to post this properly lol)
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #151238 by
Replied by on topic APPOINTEE/CARER PIP CLAIM

kacey wrote: Hi all, first time posting, hope I've done it right, ok so today I phoned to claim PIP for my son who has just turned 16 and is currently getting DLA, easy phone call lasted about 10 minutes and basically had to answer as if I was my son making the call, simple information nothing to worry about.

First stage complete, now the worry begins, there's nothing physically wrong with him, he has learning difficulties (due to a meningitis infection when he was a baby), which I can and have in previous DLA claims successfully explained and been awarded but I fear its going to be more difficult with PIP. Partly due to his age and also as he has no need to attend a doctor or any kind of health professional there is not really any 'evidence' that can be provided other than the fact that meningitis caused his delayed learning and my account of how it affects him.

He does attend an Additional Support for Learning School, however I fear that some or all of any information they might be asked to provide may be contradictory to what I will state as kids often behave completely different at school, I'm also worried about a face to face if called, as his appointee I'm not sure what would be expected which I know is a bit premature but can't help thinking about it.

His age, I mean things like cooking a meal, I know he couldn't cook a meal for himself but is it not expected that although he should be able to at his age, as his mother I'm going to be the one cooking for him anyway (probably a silly thought but this is what's going through my mind) anyway, any thoughts or opinions appreciated and I'll try to update as and when (that's if I've managed to post this properly lol)

Hi k,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

The first thing that you need to take on-board is that qualification for PIP is totally different to qualification for DLA, so you need to approach it totally differently !

Many, many claimants who quite legitimately qualified for DLA may receive a reduced PIP Award or no PIP Award at all !

Of course, I am not saying that this will necessarily be the case with your Son ! :)

You should try and obtain all the supporting evidence that you can yourself and include it with The PIP 2 Form when you receive it !!

If you have doubts regarding any information that his School may provide, you would be best meeting with them to discuss this, and if possible obtain any supporting information that you can from them yourself, and if you feel that it is wholly supportive, include that with his PIP 2.

If you feel that if a Face to Face assessment is deemed necessary, he would need a Home Assessment, you should request this with The PIP 2, and a letter from his G.P. explaining "why" a Home Assessment is needed would help.

As a parent, I see where you are coming from regarding a 16 year old not be able to cook. :)

However, the "age factor" will have little baring on this part of the assessment !

e.g. :For the "Preparing Food Activity" which is Activity 1. under The Daily Living Activities

Descriptors as below :

a. Can prepare and cook a simple meal unaided. 0 points.

b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 2 points.

c. Cannot cook a simple meal using a conventional cooker but is able to do so using a microwave. points. 2 points

d. Needs prompting to be able to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 2 points.

e. Needs supervision or assistance to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 4 points.

f. Cannot prepare and cook food. 8 points.

You would have to explain "how" and "why" the limitations that he suffers as a result of his conditions score him points under the highest scoring applicable Descriptor above, and why he could not carry out the Activity/Descriptor Reliably and Safely for The Majority of Days

My best suggestion would be to read through the information from the links below, then come back to us by replying to this topic if/when you have any further queries.

PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link down the page)

How The PIP Points Scoring System Works.

PIP Self Test

This Post in our Spotlight Area at the top of The forum.

You should Bookmark/Favourite this page in your Internet Browser now. That way you can return to this topic easily to pose any further queries that you may have by replying to the topic.

See : This Topic also !

Thanks in anticipation of your future co-operation in keeping all your PIP related queries to this topic ! :)

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

• kacey
  • Topic Author
8 years 2 months ago #151529 by kacey
Replied by kacey on topic APPOINTEE/CARER PIP CLAIM
Was just wondering, as I'm trying to start drafting answers in preparation to the PIP2 arriving, as his appointee and therefore the person completing the form do I write it as if I am the claimant or do I refer to him by his name as I did in previous DLA forms? Thanks.

More
8 years 2 months ago #151532 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic APPOINTEE/CARER PIP CLAIM

kacey wrote: Was just wondering, as I'm trying to start drafting answers in preparation to the PIP2 arriving, as his appointee and therefore the person completing the form do I write it as if I am the claimant or do I refer to him by his name as I did in previous DLA forms? Thanks.

If you are going to involve your son in completing the form then you can use "I" and he should sign the form, however, if it will only be your words then you should use "he" and you should sign it.

In either case you need to explain why you have completed the form on his behalf.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.