× Members

PIP zero points - help at last

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #151229 by Peawack
PIP zero points - help at last was created by Peawack
My client was given zero points by the PIP decision maker after her medical, very soon after being placed in the ESA Support Group. The medical was hurried and my client was not given time to fully explain her true condition to the assessor. She was given reason to think that an award was possible but was given zero points by the decision maker, who disregarded every (positive) statement from the medical examiner.
My client's GP has been most unhelpful, and his best reesponse to a plea for help with severe mental health issues was 'What do you want me to do ?' Thankfully after three wasted visits my client was seen by a locum doctor who immediately arranged for a referral to our local Mental Health Trust, where she has been diagnosed 'bipolar'. As this treatment has been since the PIP medical, is it valid evidence which can be used to overturn the decision at the forthcoming tribunal ?
Another point regarding the GP: the hospital pshychiatrist advised the GP of the required medidication for my client but the GP refused to prescribe it it. Grounds for complaint ?
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #151258 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic PIP zero points - help at last
Hi Peter,

I am assuming that the bipolar diagnosis simply brings together and puts a label on symptoms that your client was experiencing at the time of the decision? In which case, the Appeal Panel should take this into account. To be on the safe side, it might be worth preparing a short submission pointing out that the diagnosis is new, but the symptoms and resulting limitations are not.

With regard to the GP refusing to prescribe as recommended by the psychiatrist, his/your first step should be to ask the senior partner, practice manager or PALS person for an explanation (it might be that the suggested medication cannot be prescribed by GPs in that area, for instance, this is not uncommon). Followed by an official complaint if it is deemed necessary.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peawack

More
8 years 2 months ago #151268 by Peawack
Replied by Peawack on topic PIP zero points - help at last
Mrs H, yes that's a fair assumption. This condition goes back many years and she has been badly let down by so many people. That is a fair point regarding the medication but but it seemed to be obstructive behaviour by the GP. He has since been made to seem very insensitive and unhelpful, although there could be a cost issue here, as well as his being qualified to prescribe the medication.
Thanks for your response.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.