× Members

Mandatory Reconsideration help needed please

More
8 years 2 months ago #151230 by Mal
Hi, i have just been assessed by the decision maker to be fit for work despite having stenosing of the spine and degenerative disc and facet joint problems. I got 8 points on the test, ironically none for my inability to move, being in pain constantly, not being able dress myself sometimes and do day to day chores which affect me, ie if i lift anything like a chair my back takes about a day to calm down again.... I have let them know by phone i would like a mandatory reconsideration. I have had MRI scans that show my condition and gave them to the health professional on my meeting at the Jobcentre, have no idea if they were read.understood. I would like to know how to put my case to the decision maker to appeal the decision she made. Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #151273 by Gordon
Malabar

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

Can I just confirm that you are talking about an ESA claim?

We recommend following up your phone request for a Mandatory Reconsideration in writing, have a look at the ESA section there are template letters that you can use, you need to write to the same office that has been dealing with your claim.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

You should contact the DWP for a copy of the assessment report, ask for the ESA85 if you had an assessment or the ESA85A if you did not, I would phone them but again follow up the request in writing. Once you have the assessment report you will have a better understanding of how the DWP Decision Maker has come to their conclusions and will then be able to argue against them.

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria or an award, have a look at the ESA Claim guides, there are discrepancies between what you are asked on the form and what you are actually assessed against.

There are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

"the assessor recorded that I walked 50m, I did but they have failed to document that I had to stop every 10m for a rest due to breathlessness"

than their opinions

"based on my observations of the claimant walking I believe that they can reliably walk more than 200m.

When you have a better idea of the issues with your claim, come back to the forum by replying to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackpoolgraham, Mal

More
8 years 2 months ago #151302 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Mandatory Reconsideration help needed please
Malabar,

The simple fact is that ESA is not awarded due to being in pain, unable to dress, unable to do household chores etc - or even being unfit for work. It is only awarded for meeting the very specific criteria. You need to phrase your request for Mandatory Reconsideration (and appeal if it gets that far) in these terms (please forgive me if you already know this!).

Qualifying for the WRAG

Qualifying for the Support Group

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mal

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #151618 by Mal
Hi, thanks for your reply. Where can i find the specific criteria? Many thanks.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by bro58.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #151619 by Mal
Thanks Gordon. Yes they have stopped my ESA and now transferred me to JSA. I am in receipt of PIP at the lower rate. Ill ask for the ESA 85....I did have an assessment. I was awarded 8 points. Yet event hough sometimes i cannot move at all for several hours no further points.. ill read the info on the link. Thanks

• bro58
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #151651 by bro58

Malabar wrote: Hi, thanks for your reply. Where can i find the specific criteria? Many thanks.

Hi, M,

There is guidance on requesting an MR/Appeal of an adverse ESA decision on the page that Gordon gave you the link to.

On the same page you will also see our two guides (2nd & 3rd links down) on how best to explain how you qualify.

See also : Disability Rights UK Factsheet - Appeals and Mandatory Reconsiderations.

To gain access to The WRAG, you muct score a minimum of 15 points cumulatively across all/any of : The Functional WRAG (LCW)Schedule 2 Activities/Descriptors or if you can't qualify via that route, under : ESA Reg 29 for entry to The WRAG (LCW)

PLUS Post 28/01/13 Amendment of :

(3) Paragraph (2)(b) does not apply where the risk could be reduced by a significant amount by—

(a)reasonable adjustments being made in the claimant’s workplace;

or

(b)the claimant taking medication to manage the claimant’s condition where such medication has been prescribed for the claimant by a registered medical practitioner treating the claimant.”.

From : www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/3096/regulation/3/made

To gain access to The SG, you must show that you fulfil one, any one of : The Functional Support Group (SG) (LCWRA) Schedule 3 Activities/Descriptors , or if you can't, via : ESA Reg 35 for entry to The SG (LCWRA)

As you will see, some but not all of highest scoring WRAG Descriptors also correspond to some but not all of The SG Descriptors.

Whilst The MR process is ongoing, you cannot be paid ESA, so if you need some income, you can make a claim for JSA with reduced conditionality on your Job Seekers agreement to take account of your limitations.

If your MR is unsuccessful, once you appeal to the Tribunal and they have accepted it you can revert back to Assessment Rate ESA.

You should obtain "fit notes" from your G.P., but do not present them whilst also making a fresh JSA claim, keep them until after the MR is complete.

Even if you are not going to claim JSA, you should still obtain fit notes to cover you from the date of the fit for work decision, then present them to DWP when your appeal is accepted and you want to revert back to ESA.

See : This Post

You should Bookmark/Favourite this page in your Internet Browser now. That way you can return to this topic easily to pose any further queries that you may have by replying to the topic.

See : This Topic also !

Thanks in anticipation of your future co-operation in keeping all your ESA related queries to this topic ! :)

Hope that help !

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.