× Members

DLA to PIP but NHS has discharged son

More
8 years 1 month ago #154886 by Eardstapa
Replied by Eardstapa on topic DLA to PIP but NHS has discharged son
I received the "we're sorry it's taken longer than expected to give you a decision" letter yesterday, so I phoned to see what was happening. I was told it would be a further 6-8 weeks before my son's application (transferring from DLA to PIP) would be processed. It's telling that applicants must meet deadlines while the DWP and its contractors can take as much time as they want! Still, it means we're still on DLA for a bit longer. :)

Meanwhile, the struggle to get support from the NHS drags on. With CAMHS here having discharged my son the week before his 16th birthday, our GP says there's nothing further she can do either as autism spectrum disorders and co-morbid conditions are outwith her expertise. From what I can gather, there's no mental health provision here between 16 and 18 years except in cases of serious self harm, even though that's quite a challenging time. I'll just have to hope the PIP claim has some success as the money is needed for us to go private for mental health services. Fingers crossed.

What a great system! [intense sarcasm]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #156241 by Eardstapa
Replied by Eardstapa on topic DLA to PIP but NHS has discharged son
Well, a brown envelope appeared in the letter box this morning and after reading it, I'm left wondering if anyone in the DWP and Government knows what they're doing. I was expecting to be invited to take my son (autism spectrum disorder) for a face-to-face assessment, but instead found a PIP Assessment Decision. :pinch:

And I was expecting that after the assessment he'd end up with either no Daily Living Component or Standard, and no Mobility Component given the way PIP has been set up and the guidelines on how it is to be implemented. (My son is currently on Middle Care Component for DLA with the Lower Mobility Component.) So, we've been preparing for a fairly significant drop in income.

I was wrong. It's been decided he's entitled to Enhanced Daily Living with no Mobility Component, so he ends up receiving £5.40 a week more than currently. :woohoo:

Reading through the points awarded, most are nonsensical and don't match the guidelines so he loses points where he should have them (eg it was decided he can understand express and understand verbal information unaided when the medical evidence was that he struggles to do so reliably etc; it was decided he can understand complex written information when the evidence was that he can't and is why the DWP made me his appointee!) but gained points where I thought he wouldn't (washing and bathing, for example). It reads as if someone was rolling a six-sided die and using whatever numbers came up. :silly:

On balance, given that my son will be getting more paid to him than previously, I think it would be wise to not got for a mandatory reconsideration even though the decision is clearly flawed (albeit in his favour).

Anyway, thanks to the Benefits and Work Team for the booklets and guidance, it was much appreciated and very useful in putting the claim together. :cheer:

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #156276 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA to PIP but NHS has discharged son
Eardstapa

A somewhat restrained congratulations on the award and thank you for your comments about the guides.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.