× Members

Am I eligible for high rate mobility DLA (N.I)

More
8 years 2 months ago #152100 by cr27
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice. I claimed DLA for both physical & mental disabilities. I have generalized anxiety disorder, panic attacks & agoroaphobia. I have also suffered 2 DVTs in the same leg which has left me with chronic swelling & pain in my leg, with visible discolouration, painful varicose veins & swelling. I was awarded low rate mobility only, due to needing to be accompanied when I leave the house. I feel I should be entitled to high rate mobility as I am unable to walk without pain & swelling. I have been advised by citizens advice that I have no chance of being awarded high rate mobility & that you only get that "if you're limbs are hanging off or you're terminally ill" obviously this wasn't intended as serious comment from them but that's what they said. Does anyone else agree with this? I've appealed my DLA decision (with help from Citizens Advice) & am asking that my low rate mobility not be changed but that I be entitled to the care component as well as low rate mobility. I am unsure about all of this, should I take the advice of Citizens advice & not even try to get high rate mobility??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #152132 by Gordon
CR

To receive DLA Higher Rate Mobility you will need show that your cannot walk or that you are virtually unable to walk.

For the latter, you will need to show that your walking is limited to less than 50m or that if you can walk further that the speed of your walking is so slow, or the time it takes you to walk, or that your gait places you at risk of stumbling or falling that you should be considered to be unable to walk this distance.

HRM is difficult to get, but I certainly would not say that you need your limbs to be hanging off and being terminally ill will not actually result in a mobility award by default.

Your appal can only look at your conditions as they were at the time of the Decision being appealed, so if there has been any change since then, then I'm afraid the Tribunal cannot take it into account.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: cr27

• bro58
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #152136 by bro58
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.