× Members

Planning and following Journeys ER

More
8 years 1 month ago #152193 by PinotRouge
Planning and following Journeys ER was created by PinotRouge
Hello,

I’m currently filling out a DLA to PIP application on behalf of someone with Autism Spectrum DIsorder and severe anxiety, I've been reading up on the Planning and Following Journeys and see it’s difficult to qualify for 12 points other than being physically disabled, however I’d like to know what they class as “A Journey”?

He used to live on a housing estate when he was younger and was stuck in the house 24/7 unless someone picked him up and took him to town, so he was moved to the town centre several years ago to give him some independence(very small town), most shops are less than 100 meters away, with the supermarket being a 3rd of a mile, he cant go at busy times and most of the time has someone with him, but he does go to the shops once or twice a week during the quietest times, are these considered journeys?

He’s unable to leave the town centre on his own, he can’t use public transport alone, even to a familiar place like the next town along, I know he could get 10 points for not being able to go to an unfamiliar place due to anxiety without another person, but he wouldn’t be able to work out Bus routes, roads, would forget to get off due to absences/day dreaming and due to his Autism and Anti Anxiety medication he gets confused and lost easily, and has very little road awareness, he more often than not just walks out without looking causing cars to emergency stop, he can speak however not to strangers, unless it’s a memorised response, basic hellos and thank yous etc.

So ignoring the Anxiety as other cases have deemed that to be a maximum of 11e Extream Psychological distress, is it likely he could qualify for 11f cannot follow the route of a familiar journey for 12 points? And if so how would you recommend wording it to get it right first time? As he wouldn’t be able to cope with an appeal later on.

Kind Regards
PinotRouge

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #152228 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Planning and following Journeys ER
PinotRouge

There is no definition of what a journey is or is not, it's more than going to a neighbour up the road, but would not necessarily be a journey to another town. I think your description of trip to the shops might be taken as qualifying.

We are getting mixed messages about the use of Public Transport, the legislation which claimants are assessed against, makes no mention of this requirement and we have seen several Decision Makers deduct points because of this, I would not rely on it to score points.

DWP guidance treats the requirement for a claimant to "follow" a route as an issue of navigation for 13(d) and 13(f) and therefore tend to only consider cognitive or sensory issues in regard these Descriptors.

The activity must be completed reliably and on the majority of days not to score points so you should certainly make reference to issues of safety as part of your explanation of their problems.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.