× Members

Diabetic Issues

More
8 years 1 month ago #152197 by Mel B
Diabetic Issues was created by Mel B
Hi Moderators.

Could one of you kind people quide me through the issue for a Diabetic. There is a section on Epilepsy but not Diabetes.

My wife is registered as Hypo Unaware Type 1 which means she has no idea she is going into a hypo which as you can imagin is very dangerious.

This can happen at any time so I need to be on constant watch 24 / 7 for tell tail signs that she is going into a Hypo and get her to take sweet foods or drinks to raise her blood sugers.

Once she had a Hypo in the bath whilst I was watching tv, I wondered why she taking so long as she does like a soak, and luckly she was just still above the water and in a deep coma.. I had to call the Emergency Services as I could not get her out.

I now check on her every 5 mins as this has never happened before. At night whilst sleeping she has hypo's and wakes me up moaning / sweating and totally unconsious.

I now have Glucagen Hypo kit injection system which I have to inject to bring her around. This saves calling the ambulance ! Then its food and drinks to bring her right which takes another hour.

Explaining this issue might give you an idea of the difficulty in claiming PIP from DLA which she has been claiming but expires in June this year at the age of 65. We had no issues in claiming DLA.

The discriptors are the issue because when she is right she scores 0 but when she starts to go wrong she slides into 2 / 3 then if not caught scores the max on all !!

I have read the guidance notes for filling in the form but cant see any direct guidance on this subject. Dont want to mess it up!

Would this claim be based on Epilepsy as I cannot find any ref to Diabetic. If a Diabetic has no treatment when in bad Hypo they can die !!

Many thanks for reading and any help and guidance would be appriciated.

Kind regards

Mel b

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #152232 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Diabetic Issues
Mel

You should be able to argue that your wife needs supervision while completing the PIP activities. All activities must be completed reliably and on the majority of days not to score points.

Unfortunately PIP looks at a claimants problems very differently from DLA so you will need to adapt what you have previously used for DLA to fit with the PIP activities as relevant. For some activities such as Preparing Food and Washing and Bathing this will be easy for others it may be more difficult or even impossible.

You must identify the potential dangers should she have a Hypo while performing an activity and how this would this would be mitigated by your supervision. Although you say you provide 24/7 supervision are there times when you are unable to do this and if so, how does your wife manage?

You will need to show the risk of a Hypo is significant by documenting the number of times a day/week that she is actually at risk of one as support for your needing to provide 24/7 supervision.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mel B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.