× Members

New, mind boggled by benefits

• danatcathays
  • Topic Author
8 years 1 month ago #152264 by danatcathays
New, mind boggled by benefits was created by danatcathays
My mind boggles with the complexity of benefits. My partner and I have worked for 30 years and now both of us are suffering ill health - partner gets work pension £768 and reduced esa of £150 per month, and now receives PIP at enhanced rate - can not work. I work 35 hours per week £1150 per month, PIP at lower rate, and a previous work pension of £382 net per month. My health is declining and therefore I was wondering if I should reduce working hours to 15 hours or 21 hours per week. What I am wondering is - can me and my partner claim Carer Allowance for each other if I reduced to 15 hours a week and earn £400 net per month? Or should I be looking at other benefits e.g. Working Tax Credits. Can anyone advise, I would be most grateful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #152283 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic New, mind boggled by benefits

danatcathays wrote: My mind boggles with the complexity of benefits. My partner and I have worked for 30 years and now both of us are suffering ill health - partner gets work pension £768 and reduced esa of £150 per month, and now receives PIP at enhanced rate - can not work. I work 35 hours per week £1150 per month, PIP at lower rate, and a previous work pension of £382 net per month. My health is declining and therefore I was wondering if I should reduce working hours to 15 hours or 21 hours per week. What I am wondering is - can me and my partner claim Carer Allowance for each other if I reduced to 15 hours a week and earn £400 net per month? Or should I be looking at other benefits e.g. Working Tax Credits. Can anyone advise, I would be most grateful.

From a financial perspective you will have to get face to face advice as we cannot provide detailed advice on this area in the forum.

As to the CA.

Can you and your husband provide the 35 hours per week of care for each other that is required (2 x 35)?

And if you do, would this be at odds with the limitations that you stated that you each had on your claim forms?

If you can both provide the care and it would not compromise your current awards by doing so then you can make a claim against each others PIP awards. I'm assuming that you both have Daily Living awards.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.