× Members

WRAG reduction in payment.

More
8 years 1 month ago #153275 by juliettemunro
WRAG reduction in payment. was created by juliettemunro
I Know the prospect of a £30 reduction in the amount of money paid to ESA in the WRAG is going scare claimants, but if it is definitely going to go ahead, those claimants must be able to benefit from, council tax benefit, council tax benefit, free prescriptions and free dental & optical care. Plus free transport to and from hospital appointments etc.

claimants of ESA and Incapacity benefit before it, could not claim any of those because of the extra money paid. but rent alone is more than the £30 a week so new claimants of WRAG ESA will be considerably better off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #153278 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic WRAG reduction in payment.

skitti wrote: I Know the prospect of a £30 reduction in the amount of money paid to ESA in the WRAG is going scare claimants, but if it is definitely going to go ahead, those claimants must be able to benefit from, council tax benefit, council tax benefit, free prescriptions and free dental & optical care. Plus free transport to and from hospital appointments etc.

claimants of ESA and Incapacity benefit before it, could not claim any of those because of the extra money paid. but rent alone is more than the £30 a week so new claimants of WRAG ESA will be considerably better off.

I'm afraid that entitlement to most of the other benefits you mention will not be directly affected by the removal of the WRAG component. For example; to receive free prescriptions, etc. you need to be receiving Income Related ESA, those that receive Contribution Based ESA will not be eligible, just as they are not eligible now.

Other ways of qualifying are and will be available.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: juliettemunro

• bro58
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #153279 by bro58
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by bro58.

More
8 years 1 month ago #153358 by juliettemunro
Replied by juliettemunro on topic WRAG reduction in payment.
Surely that would have to change because both income & contribution based would be paid at the same rate? The reason income based qualify is because the rate they are paid is lower than contribution based. If they lower contribution based to the same rate as income based and don't give the same entitlement to housing benefit etc they would in many cases be making more people homeless, denying them the right to free medicines etc.

I have a real bee in my bonnet about benefits, having had to fight for benefits.I struggled for years on Incapacity Benefit and ESA contribution based. & had to go to appeal to get into support group, which I won They also tried to stop my ESA 5 months before I was due to start receiving state pension when they moved the goal posts on how long C/B could be paid, so I know what shameful tactics IDS is employing against sick & disabled, but it would certainly be worth fighting for those extras once they reduce ESA WRAG.

More
8 years 1 month ago #153411 by Gordon

skitti wrote: Surely that would have to change because both income & contribution based would be paid at the same rate? The reason income based qualify is because the rate they are paid is lower than contribution based. If they lower contribution based to the same rate as income based and don't give the same entitlement to housing benefit etc they would in many cases be making more people homeless, denying them the right to free medicines etc.

I have a real bee in my bonnet about benefits, having had to fight for benefits.I struggled for years on Incapacity Benefit and ESA contribution based. & had to go to appeal to get into support group, which I won They also tried to stop my ESA 5 months before I was due to start receiving state pension when they moved the goal posts on how long C/B could be paid, so I know what shameful tactics IDS is employing against sick & disabled, but it would certainly be worth fighting for those extras once they reduce ESA WRAG.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 1 month ago #153415 by Gordon

Gordon wrote:

skitti wrote: Surely that would have to change because both income & contribution based would be paid at the same rate? The reason income based qualify is because the rate they are paid is lower than contribution based. If they lower contribution based to the same rate as income based and don't give the same entitlement to housing benefit etc they would in many cases be making more people homeless, denying them the right to free medicines etc.

There are no additional changes to the legislation, for example the rules surrounding prescriptions and dental treatment have not been changed.

I agree that reduced earning may mean that some would now qualify for other benefits where they had not before, but many would qualify for these anyway on the current WRAG rate whether they were on CB or IR anyway.

Gordon

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.