× Members

Working partner

More
8 years 1 month ago #153696 by Joby
Working partner was created by Joby
Hi,
I'm thinking about my partner moving in as I live alone and it will make life easier for him to care for me and work.
My question is I'm in the income related support group after going through the process from contribution first..to this.
I've read that if a partner is working 24hrs or more then I would lose my ESA. Is this correct?
Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #153731 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Working partner

Joby wrote: Hi,
I'm thinking about my partner moving in as I live alone and it will make life easier for him to care for me and work.
My question is I'm in the income related support group after going through the process from contribution first..to this.
I've read that if a partner is working 24hrs or more then I would lose my ESA. Is this correct?
Thanks in advance.

I'm afraid it is, your claim would remain open and you would receive NI Credits that count towards a full State Pension, but you cannot receive payments if your partner works 24 or more hours a week.

Even if they reduced their hours below the 24 hours you may still not be entitled to payment as their income will be deducted from your ESA payments £ for £.

I'd advice you to get face to face advice before you make any Decision.

If they move in you must inform the DWP immediately in writing of the change.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 1 month ago #153732 by Gordon

Joby wrote: Hi,
Thanks in advance.

I'm afraid it is, your claim would remain open and you would receive NI Credits that count towards a full State Pension, but you cannot receive payments if your partner works 24 or more hours a week.

Even if they reduced their hours below the 24 hours you may still not be entitled to payment as their income will be deducted from your ESA payments £ for £.

I'd advice you to get face to face advice before you make any Decision.

If they move in you must inform the DWP immediately in writing of the change.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 1 month ago #153752 by Joby
Replied by Joby on topic Working partner
Thank you Gordon, I knew about informing them but not about how the ESA worked. I know people who have husbands who work full time and still get ESA and it can't be contribution based as it only lasts a year and they have had it for the past 3 years. That's why I thought I would ask on here, I will seek further advice as you suggest but at the moment abandon all plans for him to move in.

More
8 years 1 month ago #153767 by Gordon

Joby wrote: Thank you Gordon, I knew about informing them but not about how the ESA worked. I know people who have husbands who work full time and still get ESA and it can't be contribution based as it only lasts a year and they have had it for the past 3 years. That's why I thought I would ask on here, I will seek further advice as you suggest but at the moment abandon all plans for him to move in.

ESA(CB) only lasts a year if your are in the WRAG, claimants in the SG can ESAC(CB) indefinitely.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: Joby

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.