× Members

Audio recording PIP assessment

More
8 years 1 month ago #154034 by Lynn
Audio recording PIP assessment was created by Lynn
I have my pip assessment on Friday 18th at 10.30 in my home

I have had to change the appointment once already as they wanted to come at 9am and my carer couldnt get here early enough to get me up as I would need to get up at around 6.30am to be ready in time, so I was given a new time of 10.30am

I have today called ATOS to let them know I will be recording the assessment, to which I have had a rude response!! I was txt back and ordered to 'immediately' call them, they then said that the HP was not happy to be recorded, so basically tough luck! I did find it a bit strange that it only took them 11 minutes to call me back to tell me the HP wasnt happy, so makes me wonder if its a 'standard' response! I keep detailed records of time etc of phone calls.

I asked to speak to a superior or a HP and was told the HP's never speak to 'applicants' and they said I had to give 7 days notice if I wanted to record, I have only just managed to get hold of a tape to tape recorder, so didnt know I was able to record it until now, it says no where in the 'DWP PIP assessment guide' that I have to give 7 days notice .... so I quoted the following to them and made them actually write this down (which he did)....

Audio recording of PIP consultations
2.7.5. The recording of consultations by providers is not currently part of the specification for PIP assessments.
2.7.6. Claimants may use their own equipment to record their face-to-face consultation, should they wish to, subject to any reasonable conditions the Department chooses to impose on such recordings.
These reasonable conditions are:
• The claimant must inform the provider in advance that they wish to record their consultation. This is to allow the provider to ensure the HP scheduled to carry out the consultation is willing to be recorded. If the HP is unwilling to be recorded, an alternative appointment should be made with an HP who is willing'

I am now awaiting a call back

also reading the guide it also says this ..
'2.7.7. Providers must publicise these conditions and ideally include them in
communications sent to claimants before they attend a face-to-face
consultation.'
they DID NOT ... it says nowhere in the letter I was sent informing me such

can you please advise me if I am correct in this situation? and what could I do next to ensure I record the assessment

many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #154048 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Audio recording PIP assessment
L

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

We would have recommended notifying the Assessment Provider before an appointment was made that you wished to record the interview, but it is what it is.

It is a requirement that the assessor needs to give permission to be recorded so you will now have to wait until another is available to carry out the assessment.

To be clear you need to be able to record two tapes simultaneously, you may be asked to demonstrate that you can do this before you are allowed to record the full interview.

Assessments can last more than an hour, so make sure that you have additional tapes available.

You can have someone with you at the assessment, we recommend that you do.

There are details of the assessment and the questions that you are likely to be asked at the back of our PIP Claim guide.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

If you have additional questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: jen, lynda Bausor

More
8 years 1 month ago #154060 by Lynn
Replied by Lynn on topic Audio recording PIP assessment
thank you Gordon
I have followed your instructions.

thank you for the advice, yes I read the guidelines for recording and have obtained a double tape recorder that can tape simultaneously.
yes I will have someone with me..

my original question was could you please advise me if I am correct in this situation stating that I dont have to give 7 days notice? and what do I do if they refuse to let me record it ?

many thanks

• bro58
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #154067 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Audio recording PIP assessment

Lynn wrote: thank you Gordon
I have followed your instructions.

thank you for the advice, yes I read the guidelines for recording and have obtained a double tape recorder that can tape simultaneously.
yes I will have someone with me..

my original question was could you please advise me if I am correct in this situation stating that I dont have to give 7 days notice? and what do I do if they refuse to let me record it ?

many thanks

Hi L,

I am not sure about the 7 days notice, but we do know that ATOS/Capita do have to give the claimant 7 days notice for an appointment for a face to face.

I am also not sure that there is much that you could do if they refused permission for you to record the assessment.

You could involve your M.P. : Contacting your MP

I always advise members to request permission to record their face to face as early on in the process as possible to avoid this situation, preferably with your PIP 2 Form when you return that.

Good luck !!

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by bro58.

More
8 years 1 month ago #154154 by Lynn
Replied by Lynn on topic Audio recording PIP assessment
thank you
well I will just have to wait and see when the HP arrives tomorrow if they let me record as I never got a call back from the manager!
thanks for the advice about asking my MP, I will def do that if it comes to it, I feel they are taking away my rights by not letting me record when I have given them notice, I have really bad memory problems!

Ill let you know, thanks again

More
8 years 1 month ago #154158 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Audio recording PIP assessment

Lynn wrote: thank you
well I will just have to wait and see when the HP arrives tomorrow if they let me record as I never got a call back from the manager!
thanks for the advice about asking my MP, I will def do that if it comes to it, I feel they are taking away my rights by not letting me record when I have given them notice, I have really bad memory problems!

Ill let you know, thanks again

It's important that you understand that have no legal right to require that the assessment is recorded and the DWP will not accept the recording being refused as Good Cause for your refusing to participate in the assessment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.