× Members

DLA to PIP - severe intellectual disability

• Emma Brooks
  • Topic Author
8 years 1 month ago #154376 by Emma Brooks
DLA to PIP - severe intellectual disability was created by Emma Brooks
Hi, new here.
I'm looking at my sons form and wondering about some question eg
Do you use an aid or appliance to prepare or cook a simple meal?

Yes
No
Sometimes

My son doesn't cook at all due to his disabilities, it may be an activity we try once a week, so to me none of the above answers apply?? His meals have to be cooked for him by someone else. What do you reply in this case. This is the same for a few questions.
Also for mobility, my son can walk, but has no balance, can't walk far, and more importantly refuses to walk, lies on the ground, runs into the road etc, so we have to use a wheelchair.
This was something I was tripped up on on the DLA form, and was informed his refusal to walk was a "choice" and that I had not proved he had challenging behaviour, as a result he was awarded low rate mobility, even though I literally can't get him to walk a few metres safely.
He has severe intellectual disability and needs constant supervision.
Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #154395 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic DLA to PIP - severe intellectual disability
Hello Emma

first of all, your full name is showing - I don't know if this bothers you, but if you would prefer to remain 'anonymous' please look at the 'frequently asked questions' and there is an explanation there of how to do this.

I think perhaps your best way of showing the issues your son faces is by NOT answering the questions in the tick boxes; instead, write at the side that 'my son doesn't fit into any of these categories, please see my written explanation on the page for additional information'. There is a page at the back of the form which is specifically for these more difficult and involved answers.

You can give a full explanation there, and add in any extra information you have from his care providers (GP, Consultant, Physio etc).

The same follows for your answers to questions of feeding/cooking, and mobility issues. I can't quite understand how the assessors decided that your son doesn't have challenging behaviour - letters from his medical team must surely have mentioned this. I would certainly challenge their decision.

If you phone the DLA team (address on the letter you will have received) you can request a copy of their medical report. You can look at this and then decide where they have made an invalid decision/s. If you decide to go for Mandatory Reconsideration, you have one month to put in your addtional information and comment on the invalid and/or incorrect decisions the assessor made.

It isn't a matter of being angry and accusing the assessor of wrongdoing, it is simply questioning whether he/she actually understood the evidence you were providing. A simple 'yes/no' answer isn't always enough, and in your particular case isn't possible.

If you need any more information about how to proceed, first look at the guides for DLA application, read through and see where you could have presented your information more clearly, and if you're still not happy then get back to us and we will help you as best we can.

Good luck. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Emma Brooks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.