× Members

ESA Claim still live - ESA50 form received

More
7 years 10 months ago #161488 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Claim still live - ESA50 form received
LocalPeopleToo

To try and answer all of your questions.

1, Maximus seem to lack any imagination in handling claimants who cannot attend at their offices or cannot attend at all. Whilst there may be options for forcing a Paper Based Report the most likely result is that they will return his file to the DWP. They should then contact your husband about his reasons for not attending, if they accept them then it will go back to Maximus (they may issue an instruction to do a PBR). Unfortunately a ESA claim cannot be progressed without an assessment.

2. There is a possibility if he is found Fit for Work that it can impact on his DLA but it would be very very unusual and will depend to a very large extent on the reasons that he is receiving DLA in the first place, worst case would be that he is invited to claim PIP early.

3. You cannot prior to a Decision being made, but there is no reason to assume that they haven't, their refusal to do a PBR is unlikely to be because they do not have all of the information.

and your latest post.

If he closes his claim then it will have no impact on his DLA, doing so does not imply that he is capable for work and even if it did this would not affect his DLA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: LocalPeopleToo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #161811 by LocalPeopleToo
Replied by LocalPeopleToo on topic ESA Claim still live - ESA50 form received
Thank you for your detailed response, Gordon. When you say (in 1) that an ESA claim cannot be progressed without an assessment - just to clarify, you don't mean without a face to face assessment?

My partner's claim is now being looked again to see whether it can progress without the need for a face to face assessment.

One thing we can't get to the bottom of is NI contributions/credits in relation to benefits claims.

My partner has sufficient years of NI contributions to secure his full state pension. However, if he closes his ESA claim and they cease to pay his NI credits, is there a risk to him, in not having continuity of NI credit payment, in the event that he in future needs to claim ESA or other benefits again? Do other benefits rely on credits/contributions having been paid immediately/in the years preceding a claim?

Many thanks for your help.

More
7 years 10 months ago #161821 by Gordon

LocalPeopleToo wrote: Thank you for your detailed response, Gordon. When you say (in 1) that an ESA claim cannot be progressed without an assessment - just to clarify, you don't mean without a face to face assessment?

My partner's claim is now being looked again to see whether it can progress without the need for a face to face assessment.

One thing we can't get to the bottom of is NI contributions/credits in relation to benefits claims.

My partner has sufficient years of NI contributions to secure his full state pension. However, if he closes his ESA claim and they cease to pay his NI credits, is there a risk to him, in not having continuity of NI credit payment, in the event that he in future needs to claim ESA or other benefits again? Do other benefits rely on credits/contributions having been paid immediately/in the years preceding a claim?

Many thanks for your help.

No. the assessment does not have to be a face to face.

If your husband wants to make a new claim for Contribution Based ESA at some time in the future, then he will only be able to do so if he has worked during the interim. Although he has earned NI Credits while on ESA these only count in part towards a new ESA(CB) claim, he will need NI Contributions in the Tax years preceding the claim, which can only be earned through employment or registered self-employment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: LocalPeopleToo

More
7 years 10 months ago #161850 by LocalPeopleToo
Thank you for your clear and helpful response, Gordon. My apologies for continuing to come back with questions.

My partner had been on income based ESA for exactly that reason, I think. If he was ineligible for contribution based in the future due to not having NI contributions in the tax years preceding a claim, would he be again considered for income-based?

And would there be any similar (NI) implication if he became able to work but for any reason had to claim Job Seeker's Allowance (although I guess everything would be Universal Credit by such a time...?)?

Very many thanks again.

More
7 years 10 months ago #161867 by Gordon

LocalPeopleToo wrote: Thank you for your clear and helpful response, Gordon. My apologies for continuing to come back with questions.

My partner had been on income based ESA for exactly that reason, I think. If he was ineligible for contribution based in the future due to not having NI contributions in the tax years preceding a claim, would he be again considered for income-based?

And would there be any similar (NI) implication if he became able to work but for any reason had to claim Job Seeker's Allowance (although I guess everything would be Universal Credit by such a time...?)?

Very many thanks again.

Income Based ESA is not affected by their NI history, but rather you household income, savings and assets and any hours that you work.

The rules for JSA and UC are substantially the same.

Gordon

More
7 years 9 months ago #161954 by LocalPeopleToo
Thank you Gordon, final question, I think...

'The rules for JSA and UC are substantially the same'.

Do you mean the same as for income-based ESA (ie: not connected to NI?)

Many thanks.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.