× Members

People with drug addiction issues

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #155893 by Chrissy
People with drug addiction issues was created by Chrissy
Hello

I have drug addiction issues and I have recently registered with a drug agency to help me get off them.

I want to stress that I do not take drugs to get high.
I take them because I cannot tolerate stress and frustration and ever since I was a little girl, I have thrown fits of frustration which involve me flailing my arms and legs about, hitting myself, hitting my head off the wall and injuring myself, and I have even hurt someone who tried to restrain me.
I've tried all manner of legitimately prescribed antidepressants and other medications, and given them a long time to work, but none of them have worked.
My question is, will PIP assessors or ESA assessors look on this in a punitive manner?
I told my CPN, that if I Was put in a work siutation, that I would be a safety risk, because I have very little tolerance for stress and frustration.
I am a very nice natured person and get bullied a lot, but when furstrated or stressed, I always took it out on my self.
I used to use alcohol to cope with work, but that is obviously bad.
I have got myself addicted to tranquilisers and am hoping that the drug agency will put me on a program to get me off them.

I reiterate, I don't take them to get high, I am not a party type, I take them to get through the day without breaking down or falling apart. My drug addiction is masking an underlying issue, but so far, no one has given me a diagnosis.

I've told my CPN II have been suicidal and even showed her the drugs that I had taken months to get hold off, that someone told mem would kill me.
She asked me why I asked the doctor about them, and I told her that the doctor needed to know how serious I Was about being suicidal, but I Was put off taking the drugs because the doctor said they would not kill me, and may just cause permanent injury. I told the nurse that the GP needs to know so that she can put them on my records.

My CPN will refer me to the psychiatrist who I Will see in a few weeks, but she said neither of them would provide evidence. I asked because I Wanted to be prepared with evidence, as my ESA assessmentn was due las year and I am on a lifetime DLA awaard, so any of the forms could come any time now.
My nurse said that no one would provide evidence until I got my ESA50, despite me saying that you only get 4 weeks to get the evidence together.
My question is, although the underlying issue which fuels my drug misuse has not been diagnosed, despite me seeing loads of psychiatrists in the past, and despite me having these problems all my life, in coping with stress, and not being able to connect with people etc, will the ESA and PIP assessors look on my drug problem as something that is my fault and will it go against me.

I repeat, I do not use drugs to get high. Ive tried all manner of prescription drugs off the doctor, but they either have unbearable side effects or they don't work, and some have made made me worse.

I have had an abusive upbringing and although I keep trying to put it out of my mind, I also keep getting involuntary intrusive thoughts about the abuse, I also keep getting intrusive thoughts about the bullying I received at work.

I went on courses who I was referred to by an old mental health worker, they were CBT, they help to some extent, I still use the strategies, but they don't help fully.

I am worrying myself silly about this, because like many others in the UK, I don't think I could cope with the stress of going through the appeals process, especially now, that they don't pay you while you are waiting for the appeal process to go through.

Many thanks in advance for your help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #155911 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic People with drug addiction issues
Chrissy

Both alcohol and drug addiction are recognised as disabling conditions for ESA and PIP, however, it is not really the condition that will be assessed but rather the effects it has on your daily living, this is particularly the case for PIP which has different criteria from DLA and a fundamentally different assessment approach.

I would start by going through the Claim guides for both benefits to make sure that you understand what criteria you are being assessed against and if you have further questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

ESA
www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

PIP
www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chrissy

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #156041 by Chrissy
Replied by Chrissy on topic People with drug addiction issues
Thank you Gordon

Thank you for giving me those links.
I will have a look at both of them when I come back and will return if I have any questions.
Many thanks

More
6 years 9 months ago #193575 by Caroline
Replied by Caroline on topic People with drug addiction issues
Hi
I need help with my sons pip renewal which has arrived 1 whole year early.
My son has ADHD, SEVERE LEARNING DIFFICULTIES, speech issues and memory issues, he is also very vulnerable
This last year he was travelling alone for the second time ever and he has got mixed up with 3 boys who have led him in the wrong direction in life, they have made him feel like they are his best friends, so they have given him cannabis and told him to rob someone which he is now in court for, his drug issue I became aware off pretty quickly and got him the help he needed, now my question is do I disclose this on his renewal paper or would that jeopardise him ?
Thank you

More
6 years 9 months ago #193576 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic People with drug addiction issues
Caroline

You only need to mention it if it affects his abilities to complete the ESA activities.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 9 months ago #193581 by Caroline
Replied by Caroline on topic People with drug addiction issues
Hi thanks for the reply
I'm new to this forum so please bare with me
My son don't claim ESA just PIP he claims but has he as got older he is becoming more vulnerable which is making him going outside alone so hard
I tried to get him on mobility but they said he can walk so is not eligible for mobility even though physically he can walk but mentally he will go off with whoever says is his friend

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.