× Members

PIP mobility metrics

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #155987 by paul webster
PIP mobility metrics was created by paul webster
At a recent tribunal, as a representative, in successfully appealing the 'moving around' criterion and being awarded the full 12 points, I based my client's submission on simple metrics according to distance travelled and time taken.

I have calculated that a person without any loss of walking function takes about 24 seconds to walk 20 metres outdoors in a normal fashion; 50 metres in one minute; and 200 metres in 4 minutes.

So any time taken notably less then these targets by a claimant is prime facie evidence of inability to move around. Obviously the time taken for a need to rest at any point should be included in the time measurement. (Recovery time and repeatability of any such exercise are of course added dimensions which can also be measures in time)

My advice is in making a claim use a tape measure and a some sort of timer and at appeal give the tribunal some hard data based on an actual real time exercise.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #156028 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP mobility metrics

paul webster wrote: At a recent tribunal, as a representative, in successfully appealing the 'moving around' criterion and being awarded the full 12 points, I based my client's submission on simple metrics according to distance travelled and time taken.

I have calculated that a person without any loss of walking function takes about 24 seconds to walk 20 metres outdoors in a normal fashion; 50 metres in one minute; and 200 metres in 4 minutes.

So any time taken notably less then these targets by a claimant is prime facie evidence of inability to move around. Obviously the time taken for a need to rest at any point should be included in the time measurement. (Recovery time and repeatability of any such exercise are of course added dimensions which can also be measures in time)

My advice is in making a claim use a tape measure and a some sort of timer and at appeal give the tribunal some hard data based on an actual real time exercise.

The only problem is that your figures are a lot lower than the DWP use, as minimum they quote 72m per minute and I have seen them go as high as 90m.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.