× Members

Getting around safely

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #155996 by Patel
Getting around safely was created by Patel
Category 8 Getting around safely
If you rely on someone else providing you with sighted guidance all the time would
this be treated as an aid or appliance?
Could you argue that in the absence of someone providing sighted guidance you are unable
to do this activity as frequently as you wish as you are not safe alone. Would this count as not being able to do it.Other aids cannot be used due to problems with the hand.
Eating and Drinking
If you are unable to see and can only eat using one hand. Is it possible to justify
that you are unable to do this activity
a) You need to see to be able to eat
b) Eating is a double arm process hence cutting of meat, chicken and vegetables has to be done by someone else before you eat. Similarly you need to be told whether it is hot or cold food. Also with drinking you need to be told whether it is tea or cold drink.
c) Swallowing - Could you say this activity is a problem because of loose teeth and teath have been eaten up by the gums a condition called perionditis hence food has to be in really small pieces before consumption.
Advice appreciated.
Patel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #156038 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Getting around safely
Patel

I assume this in regard to ESA.

If you go back to the ESA Claim guide for Physical Health Grounds, you will see that the activity specifically refers to needing to be accompanied by another person due to sensory impairment.

With regard to Eating and Drinking.

a) you can certainly argue the point, but I think your position is weak.

b) The DWP view is that it does not require two arms. I think you could detect whether the food is hot or cold without needing to told.

c) You could argue that you cannot chew, I'm not sure that the swallowing element is relevant unless you can show the former.

Again have a look at the activity and the Descriptors against which you are being assessed.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.