× Members

IR ESA Saving limit & Disregarded DLA

More
8 years 1 week ago #156573 by despair
IR ESA Saving limit & Disregarded DLA was created by despair
Hello,
newbie, can't locate answer to this one. I'm near the 6K limit as my condition prevents me spending more. Also I'd been going on the 16K limit but finally realise that's contributory ESA.

I just read at disabilityrightsuk that 'DLA is not taken into acct. when working out IR esa'.

Well a lot of my 'savings' are comprised of ongoing DLA payments.
Does this mean then that they are disregarded as being part of the 6K? I wish, but somehow doubt it.

Can anyone say for definite? This seems a v.tricky one to me.
If DLA really was disregarded, I should be off the hook.
Is that wishful thinking or fair & just?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 week ago #156615 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic IR ESA Saving limit & Disregarded DLA
StateMurder

DLA is not counted as income in regard to ESA, but once paid and after four weeks, DLA is paid four weekly, it is counted an capital.

So if your DLA is £200 paid every four weeks and you spend £100 during the following four weeks then the remaining £100 then becomes capital and counts against the savings limit for ESA.

If your savings, assets and cash exceeds the £6000 limit then you must inform the DWP about this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: despair

More
8 years 1 week ago #156617 by Roidininki
Replied by Roidininki on topic IR ESA Saving limit & Disregarded DLA
A question I've asked myself again and again !

When my bank statements were looked at many years ago by the DWP , I was told although DLA wasn't counted as income it was counted as savings , and if I didn't want my weekly benefit reduced to get it [DLA] spent.

Sympathise with you saying you're not being able to do so , could you buy something for your pleasure in the home with it ? . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: despair

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.