× Members

ESA Contribution rate & Permanent health insurance

More
8 years 1 week ago #156598 by Bill1961
Hello,

Please could you advise on the following:

recently my ESA support group contributory rate has been reduced by the DWP from £109 p/w to £27.10 after I informed them voluntarily at a compliance interview I was receiving permeant health insurance remuneration on a monthly basis they have said this is classified as a pension income? I completely disagree with this due to the following reasons:

1- My employer sky has setup the group income protection directly with the insurer Unum
2- Sky are the policy holder not myself
3-The monthly remuneration is paid directly to sky (not myself) who then forward it to me as a continuation of my salary therefore I feel that I should still be entitled to my contribution remuneration from DWP as this is based on my NI contributions
4-I am still employed by my employer but on long term sick
5- My contribution pension & my defined pension have not been touched by me so how can the DWP classify my permeant health insurance as income

I am subject to regular insurance reviews 4 times a year and have even seen Occupational Health Consultants who have confirmed to my employers and the insurers that I am unfit for work. This also means that my NI contributions are fully paid therefore my ESA contribution sum should not be reduced as the DWP have done

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 week ago #156637 by Gordon
Bill

Payments from this type of policy are classed as pension payments for the purposes of ESA, however, the Regulations require this to be on the "termination of that person’s employment". so if you are still employed, then as far as I can see the money should not be deducted at this time.

To be clear, your points; (1), (2), (3) and (5) are not relevant to the argument.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.