× Members

PIP overseas, and over retirement age

• SteveO
  • Topic Author
8 years 1 week ago #157076 by SteveO
Having just successfully claimed PIP (High Mob, Standard Care) before my retirement date I decided to move to Ireland. The mobility component is not paid beyond UK shores, although you can have the care component exported, which I have done. Does anyone have an explanation as to why you can't have mobility, as no one including the DWP can give me a coherent answer?! It has been suggested that the care part is only paid beyond UK shores as the EU considers it a health related benefit for which there are reciprocal obligations. The mobility part is under no such EU obligation, and presumably the UK government is simply saying hard luck! I really don't know.

My second question should be a bit simpler, I hope. My award goes to 2020 by which time I will be 69, so am I right in thinking that will be the end of PIP for me.

If anyone can enlighten me on those two I'd be grateful !
Regards Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 week ago #157085 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP overseas, and over retirement age

SteveO wrote: Having just successfully claimed PIP (High Mob, Standard Care) before my retirement date I decided to move to Ireland. The mobility component is not paid beyond UK shores, although you can have the care component exported, which I have done. Does anyone have an explanation as to why you can't have mobility, as no one including the DWP can give me a coherent answer?! It has been suggested that the care part is only paid beyond UK shores as the EU considers it a health related benefit for which there are reciprocal obligations. The mobility part is under no such EU obligation, and presumably the UK government is simply saying hard luck! I really don't know.

My second question should be a bit simpler, I hope. My award goes to 2020 by which time I will be 69, so am I right in thinking that will be the end of PIP for me.

If anyone can enlighten me on those two I'd be grateful !
Regards Steve

As I understand it neither the care nor the mobility component were originally exportable, however, following a European Court of Justice ruling in 2007 the care component became exportable but this ruling did not extend to the mobility component.

As long as you continue to meet criteria for the Daily Living component after reassessment it should remain in payment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.