× Members

PIP appeal - waiting for a diagnosis?

More
7 years 11 months ago #160297 by Ellen
Replied by Ellen on topic PIP appeal - waiting for a diagnosis?
I telephoned and asked about the RoP- today I got a letter saying that because I had an on paper tribunal hearing there was no RoP.-which is unhelpful but at least I know there isn't one.

In terms of an error of law- ( I'm trying to do this myself)- the bit about failing to explain stuff seems a bit wishywashy - what constitutes an explanation and what doesn't ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #160354 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP appeal - waiting for a diagnosis?

abby wrote: I telephoned and asked about the RoP- today I got a letter saying that because I had an on paper tribunal hearing there was no RoP.-which is unhelpful but at least I know there isn't one.

In terms of an error of law- ( I'm trying to do this myself)- the bit about failing to explain stuff seems a bit wishywashy - what constitutes an explanation and what doesn't ?

There's no clear definition that I can give you.

Although there is no problem with you putting forward Errors that are not, try and be as objective as you can.

There are two issues, have they looked at your issues? If they haven't and it is a matter that materially could have resulted in points being award then it may be an Error. If they have looked at it, would any reasonable person come to the same conclusion (note: this does not have to be the same conclusion that you would), as a deliberately silly example; if something is black and white and the panel describe it as grey then I do not think that it would be accepted as an Error, however if they described it as red then it might be.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 11 months ago #160617 by Ellen
Thanks- is there anything related to errors of law in that the tribunal applied/ followed an irrelevant case law? I vaguely remember reading something about it but I'm not sure- in that for mobility and mental health/ cognitive ability reference always seems to go to the case law of Jacobs/Agnew- yet using that is implying that the only reason someone with mental health problems would be able to navigate a journey is dependent upon factors such as crowds/ roadworks etc ( and hence the debate as to if those constitute part of the journey)- it fails to acknowledge that someone could be unable to follow and unfamiliar journey just by the very fact it is unfamiliar. So could I argue that taking into account irrelevant case law counts as an error of law?

( I went to my local cab but was very very unsuccessful).

More
7 years 11 months ago #160639 by Gordon
Abby

I'll say up front that I don't think this approach will be successful, but even if it was credible, if you cannot articulate the Case Law that you hold to be irrelevant you are not going to be able to present a cogent case to the UTT Judge.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 11 months ago #160664 by Ellen
hi
yes I know my ability to be able to articulate things and write a decent case to present to the UTT is awful - that's why I went to the CAB for help - but they were very unhelpful/didn't know much about PIP.
The part about the Tribunal taking into account irrelevane material/case law is not the main point for arguing an error of law - it was just something I was wondering.
abby

More
7 years 11 months ago #160673 by Gordon

abby wrote: hi
yes I know my ability to be able to articulate things and write a decent case to present to the UTT is awful - that's why I went to the CAB for help - but they were very unhelpful/didn't know much about PIP.
The part about the Tribunal taking into account irrelevane material/case law is not the main point for arguing an error of law - it was just something I was wondering.
abby

I'm sorry but it is very difficult for us to provide support to members in regard a UTT appeal as we have no access to the papers on which you are basing that appeal, all I can go on is what you post. :)

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.