× Members

denied home visit

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #158092 by Indigo
denied home visit was created by Indigo
My daughter aged 21 has ME, fibromyalgia, anxiety, social anxiety, relapses are cause by any mental or physical stress.
She has been denied a home visit even though she has a GP letter to say she has home visits and telephone consultations due to the severity of her condition. Atos say because she is being seen by a consultant at a hospital then she cannot have a home visit, however, although she does have an appointment booked she is too ill to go and it is now cancelled.

any advice regarding this please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #158110 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic denied home visit
Hi Indigo,

I am so sorry that you and your daughter are going through this.

I'm afraid this is a common situation. For some reason ATOS tend to give home visits to people who have not asked for one, refusing them for those who have :S

I can suggest 2 courses of action - you can take either or both (or neither, of course!).

You could contact ATOS again and remind them that they have a duty to provide 'reasonable adjustments' for your daughter under the Equalities Act - and a home visit is the adjustment that you are requesting.

Your MP might be able to get them to think again

Contacting your MP

Claimants are able to cancel an assessment appointment once without any problem. You might find that cancelling the first one buys you some time to get this sorted out. However, she would have to attend any further appointment whatever happens - or run the risk of her file being returned to DWP and the claim closed.

You might wish to bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future. That will allow you to return with further questions/comments without having to start a new topic each time. It helps us enormously when everything relating to the same claim is kept in one place - and I hope it will be useful for you too :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by slugsta.

More
7 years 11 months ago #161027 by Jianne1274
Replied by Jianne1274 on topic denied home visit
Hi indigo
I have recently found myself denied a home visit too ...now having been on dla since I was 16 I am now 41 so a long time and in the esa support group I and never having had to visit a centre before always had home visits ...I queried atos and asked why I was told like yourself that because I visit consultants I was able to visit a centre ...I made them aware of the fact that consultants DO NOT visit you at home nor can you get a c.t scanner in your living room...petty yes I know but it's also true..I also made them aware of a few things I they say on there own website ...like although home assessment s are generally given to people who receive them from there g.p...that does not mean that You Can't have a home assessment I even if this is not the case...not sure if that's the exact wording but you could find it by looking on atos website ...I also mentioned reasonable adjustments which you are entitled to ask for...in my case travelling to assement centre would have left me in severe pain and distress and I would not be able to fully participate in the interview this breaches my rights as a disabled person ..disability act 2010 I quoted the relevant bit from that act for my circumstances...I even found a bit of UN and EU legislation that I used .I also asked for someone else to look at my form again and they did....as a result I have a home visit without a Dr letter(my doctor was happy to do one )I hope this helps just a tiny bit or at least gives you a bit of hope that it can be done

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris