× Members

Can't cope with PIP assessment: mental health

More
7 years 11 months ago #158236 by Deena Bee
:( HELP ! Have successfully managed (using advice from this site) to have my husband appointed as my carer and acting on my behalf to handle my claim for PIP ( I have been getting DLA for past five years, higher level mobility and mental health, both enhanced high level payments) During the five years my physical health is the same as it was, to slightly worse, and my mental health has deteriorated significantly to the point for various complex reasons to the point where I have, despite many attempts, not been able even to cope with engaging with mental health professionals in therapeutic interventions I previously found helpful. I have become increasingly volatile emotionally and much more mentally unstable, resulting in panic, self harm, extreme anxiety, spontaneous vomiting, defecation and feeling extremely violent when threatened; usually resulting in me becoming voluble, agressive and in several cases, the police or security being called, depending on where I am. Clearly, a PIP assessment, even the thought of it, indeed even getting the letter about it today, is pushing EVERY mental health button to the point where I feel desperate and unable to cope. If I DO manage to get to the assessment, which is unlikely, it is pretty much guaranteed that I would be a weeping wailing mess or a shouting sweary mess, probably with the added touch of vomit/defecation due to complete stress overload even if I got through the door. I am in a complete and utter state about this and with no therapist to help me cope with these unmanageable feelings, very scared. What should my husband do ? I know that simply not turning up wouldn't be a good idea. Should he perhaps call them or write down what happened yesterday when we tried to visit a mental health nurse ? I lost it entirely within seconds and had to leave; having sworn at her and went on to become extremely distressed; worse than before I attended. ANY ADVICE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED !!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #158248 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Can't cope with PIP assessment: mental health
Hi Deena Bee and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I am sorry that you having to deal with this when you are so poorly :(

It is usual for PIP claimants to have a face2face assessment but it is not 100% guaranteed. The better the information given in the claim form, the better the chance of an award being made without a face2face.

Please ask your husband to make full use of our PIP guide when completing the form and to submit as much evidence as he thinks necessary. He should not assume that the assessor knows any of your past history as it is unlikely that this person would see your previous claim records. The PIP criteria are very different from those for DLA, it works on a point scoring basis, so make sure the information submitted conforms exactly to the questions that are asked.

PIP help for claimants

Yes, your husband should state what happened yesterday, emphasising your distress and the risk to the other person.

A letter from your GP, saying that you are too poorly for a face2face, would certainly do no harm!

I know it is difficult when you are so ill but let's try to take this one step at a time and get the PIP2 form done - it should be sent with proof of postage at the very least (signed for on delivery is even better if finances allow). Don't send in any original documents unless specifically told to by DWP (in which case you should make sure you have a copy for your own records).

There is a section at the end of the form for your husband to explain that he has completed it as your appointee.

You might want to favourite/bookmark this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future. That will allow you to come back with further questions/comments without having to start a new topic each time you remember something. It helps us enormously when everything relating to the same claim is kept in one place - and I hope you will find it useful too :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.