× Members

Home assessment requested yet Capita call me to at

More
7 years 11 months ago #158531 by ianheadland
I am finding this SO frustrating and will be brief. Two years ago when I transferred from DLA to PIP my main condition that I was suffering from was of a mental health nature and I was given a home assessment. Incidentally, my award was for three years but in April this year they sent the new forms to be assessed again. Hardly three years! Anyhow, my mental health conditions have not changed but I have also been diagnosed with an auto immune disease called Myasthenia Gravis. Very rare and causes extreme muscle fatigue. Despite using the excellent guides on this wonderful site and stating in the other information that I requested strongly a home assessment, Capita have sent me a letter stating to attend an assessment centre next Friday 20th. Oh they were so kind to give me directions. Apparently to get the bus they tell me, I need to walk the almost one mile to the next village, take the bus to arrive in the city which will take an hour, walk across town and arrive, according to their calculations one hour before the assessment appointment. I barely have the energy to get to the top of the road and this was all explained to them in my application. My mental health issues causes me extreme fear of the outside and getting public transport is impossible for me. I would neither be in a fit state to drive and I have no one to take me though again, having had a home visit last time, surely I should have been granted one this time? I also found it very annoying that in this morning's post (Saturday) there were two other letters from Capita, one of which reminding me of the appointment. So, three letters dated 9th, 10th and 11th all arrive together on 14th and I have to wait till Monday 16th to try to get them to grant me a home assessment like last time.
I'd appreciate any advice in dealing with them on the phone on Monday morning and hoping my request will not be held against me. Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #158545 by shelam
Hello Ian

It's hardly surprising you are at your wits end.

I gather this is the first appointment Capita have sent you? You are allowed to change the appointment once, I believe, and you might do this and in the extra time this will buy you, you can approach your GP for a letter supporting your need for a home visit.

Failing that, well, several members have had success on approaching their MP with their problems. Apparently it might be possible to persuade Capita that a home visit would be preferable. Obviously it depends on your MP, how approachable he/she is and whether he/she supports this whole misguided system. (my personal opinion!!!)

Other members of the forum might have other, better ideas. See if anyone else can suggest an alternative to one I've offered, and go on from there. Whatever you do, DON'T try to make this silly journey under your own steam! Only sorry we can't be of more help. :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: ianheadland

More
7 years 11 months ago #158700 by ianheadland
Replied by ianheadland on topic Home assessment requested yet Capita call me to at
TO keep you updated, after speaking to an advisor from the charity support group for my myasthenia, he talked me through the things to 'calmly' say to Capita and bolstered with the support from shelam I nervously rang Capita. The woman on the phone 'agreed' with me that I had provided plenty of additional support, that it wouldn't be safe or prudent for me to make the journey to the assessment centre and that I should have had a home assessment. She immediately changed the assessment centre appointment to a home visit for the 24th May. So, one step forward but still the home assessment to endure but far, far better than a 90 minute almost impossible journey for me.
I will keep you updated as to how things go but at this moment there is a huge amount of relief that a huge hurdle has been overcome. Many thanks again

More
7 years 11 months ago #158715 by Gordon

Ian wrote: TO keep you updated, after speaking to an advisor from the charity support group for my myasthenia, he talked me through the things to 'calmly' say to Capita and bolstered with the support from shelam I nervously rang Capita. The woman on the phone 'agreed' with me that I had provided plenty of additional support, that it wouldn't be safe or prudent for me to make the journey to the assessment centre and that I should have had a home assessment. She immediately changed the assessment centre appointment to a home visit for the 24th May. So, one step forward but still the home assessment to endure but far, far better than a 90 minute almost impossible journey for me.
I will keep you updated as to how things go but at this moment there is a huge amount of relief that a huge hurdle has been overcome. Many thanks again

Well done for making the call.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.