× Members

16yr old DLA to PIP for CFS/M.E.

More
7 years 11 months ago #158553 by funmum
16yr old DLA to PIP for CFS/M.E. was created by funmum
Hello there. I have just started to read through the PIP Guide pack for my son's forthcoming transfer from DLA to PIP.

I am looking at Q9 regarding Communicating.

My son has a lot of difficulty with communication. In PIP terms his problems would include understanding complex sentences for part or all of every day (so on 100% of days).

He doesn't understand what people mean when they speak to him. He may look at them, and nod at appropriate times. But he actually has no idea what they have said or what he is agreeing to. He has previously very clearly indicated consent to a physical medical examination, when in fact he had no idea what the Dr had asked and had not consented.

In any important situation (ie where this lack of understanding matters at all) I need to be with him as I know when he is likely not to have understood and when he is likely to be faking understanding. I also need to check that he has understood by addressing him very clearly and directly and asking him to say in his words what the other person meant.

Your Guide says that the Regulations say that communication support is "a person trained or experienced in communicating with people with specific communication needs". Also that DWP Guidance says that communication support includes professional signers, but can also include "someone directly experienced in communicating with the claimant themselves (for example a family member)".

The whole question seems to be aimed at claimants with hearing or speech impediments of some kind. But my son absolutley has a problem with communication, just a different type of problem.

Am I right that my son, as described fits descriptor C (4 points) here?

Since it is only Guidance that mentions family members (and the Regulations mention trained professionals), plus the question seems to be getting at a different type of communiction problem, is there anything in particular that I need to make sure to include in my answer to get the 4 points?

He also sometimes struggles with simple sentences but this is on less that 50% of the days so is that not counted?

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #158585 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic 16yr old DLA to PIP for CFS/M.E.
funmum

The Communicating Verbally activity is specifically aimed at claimants who have physical problems with hearing or speaking, the guidance makes the specific comment

The ability to remember and retain information is not within the scope of this activity e.g. relevant to those with dementia or learning disabilities.

I'm not saying that your son cannot score points for this activity, but based on your post I think it unlikely that he will, you would be better off looking at question 11, Mixing With Other People.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 11 months ago #158740 by funmum
Replied by funmum on topic 16yr old DLA to PIP for CFS/M.E.
Thank you. It says speaking, hearing and understanding in the PIP form. His issue is mainly with understanding what is said. He often/mostly doesnt understand complex sentences. I have to check his understanding, and re-explain things, he usually has no idea. Because he can fake normal social conventions of looking and nodding, most people dont realise he has a problem. He has these difficulties because of the brain fog / cognitive impairment with the cfs. What do you think?

More
7 years 11 months ago #158752 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic 16yr old DLA to PIP for CFS/M.E.

funmum wrote: Thank you. It says speaking, hearing and understanding in the PIP form. His issue is mainly with understanding what is said. He often/mostly doesnt understand complex sentences. I have to check his understanding, and re-explain things, he usually has no idea. Because he can fake normal social conventions of looking and nodding, most people dont realise he has a problem. He has these difficulties because of the brain fog / cognitive impairment with the cfs. What do you think?

All you can do is present your arguments, but I would not rely on him scoring points for this activity.

You will need to show that he cannot reliably and on the majority of days understand a spoken message if his underlying conditions are variable.

you also need to pay particular attention to the complexity of the message he is being asked to understand, the requirement is not that complicated and is therefore difficult to meet,

If you want to have a look at the DWP guidance, there is a copy in the PIP section.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: funmum

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.