× Members

Authritis and mobility

More
7 years 11 months ago #158657 by j
Authritis and mobility was created by j
Hi, sorry this is all new to me and im unsure if im bein advised proper or not so i thought ide ask on here.
At present im a self employed mechanic and have been for the past 26 years. recently my knee has been giving me pain over the past year or so but since a recent bang on a ramp it seems to be more perminant. Ive been to the doctors who has confirmed its authritis and looks to be in both knees but pain only in the right knee.
Im now wearing an expensive knee brace daily as the knee gives me some right pain at work and interferes, slowed me right down and gets on my nerves havin this problem.
I think im also gettin a problem with my right wrist as im also getting pain when working on heavy objects.
Anyway im told i can apply for disability and still work, one more thing i do suffer depression and this knee is defo making life hard at the minute. Thanks for reading.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #158661 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Authritis and mobility
Hi J and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

It is perfectly acceptable for people to claim disability benefit (previously DLA, now PIP) and still work full time. The idea of the benefit is to help with some of the extra costs caused by a permanent health problem.

In order for a PIP claim to be accepted, the claimant must have had the problem for at least 3 months and it must be expected to last a further 9 months.

The PIP assessment is based on scoring points for certain problems. I suggest you have a look at our PIP self-assessment test, and score yourself harshly, to see whether you think you might be entitled to claim.

If you do decide to make a PIP claim our guide will talk you through the process.

PIP help for claimants

You might want to bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future. That will allow you to return with further questions/comments without having to start a new topic each time. It helps us enormously when everything relating to the same claim is kept in one place - and I hope it will be useful for you too :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: j

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.