× Members

Esa or job seekers

More
7 years 11 months ago #159879 by pat
Esa or job seekers was created by pat
I am not sure what to do. I was on income support and careers because I cared for my brother and sister. Brother on middle Dla sister on lower Dla. When my brother died I lost my careers and income support. Because I was still caring for my sister I wasn't available to work so I applied for income support and careers and at the same time applied for pip for my sister as I was led to believe that as long as I had applied I would at least be able to get income support until decision came through. That was three weeks aga and today I was turned down for both income support and careers allowance because my sister isn't getting the correct benefit. The woman who phoned from income support suggested I apply for sea as I don't meet the conditionality for work as I am caring for someone. I don't see a problem getting doctors notes for a short period as I lost my sister and am already on antidepressants. I don't know anything about esa do you have any advice for me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #159894 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Esa or job seekers

pat wrote: I am not sure what to do. I was on income support and careers because I cared for my brother and sister. Brother on middle Dla sister on lower Dla. When my brother died I lost my careers and income support. Because I was still caring for my sister I wasn't available to work so I applied for income support and careers and at the same time applied for pip for my sister as I was led to believe that as long as I had applied I would at least be able to get income support until decision came through. That was three weeks aga and today I was turned down for both income support and careers allowance because my sister isn't getting the correct benefit. The woman who phoned from income support suggested I apply for sea as I don't meet the conditionality for work as I am caring for someone. I don't see a problem getting doctors notes for a short period as I lost my sister and am already on antidepressants. I don't know anything about esa do you have any advice for me.

ESA has very specific criteria which need to be met for an award to be made, although this would not prevent you making a claim providing your GP is prepared to issue a Fit Note, have a look at the ESA guides for more details about the benefit and the criteria for an award.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 11 months ago #159921 by pat
Replied by pat on topic Esa or job seekers
Can you tell me how long after the initial claim that you have to fill in work capability form and attend medical and if you are paid a benefit at this point. The guides say there is a 13 week assessment phase do you have to have a medical before this phase ends or after and do you receive payment during this time.

More
7 years 11 months ago #159922 by pat
Replied by pat on topic Esa or job seekers
I am trying to decide the best way to get support whilst waiting for my sisters pip decision because I have no income at the moment and have run out of savings. I have been told that you can no longer get income support whilst waiting for pip decisions so how are careers meant to support themselves. The women from income support told me to claim esa but I don't want to do that if I am just going down another dead end. My other option would be to claim job seekers and then get my doctor to give me a fit note. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

More
7 years 11 months ago #159957 by Gordon

pat wrote: Can you tell me how long after the initial claim that you have to fill in work capability form and attend medical and if you are paid a benefit at this point. The guides say there is a 13 week assessment phase do you have to have a medical before this phase ends or after and do you receive payment during this time.

You should normally receive the ESA50 in about week 5 of your claim, ideally the assessment will be carried out within the first 13 weeks, but this does not always happen.

Once your claim is accepted you will receive the ESA Assessment rate until a Decision on your claim is made.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 11 months ago #159960 by Gordon

pat wrote: I am trying to decide the best way to get support whilst waiting for my sisters pip decision because I have no income at the moment and have run out of savings. I have been told that you can no longer get income support whilst waiting for pip decisions so how are careers meant to support themselves. The women from income support told me to claim esa but I don't want to do that if I am just going down another dead end. My other option would be to claim job seekers and then get my doctor to give me a fit note. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The key question is whether your GP will issue a Fit Note on an ongoing basis?

If they won't then you can only claim JSA and would be subject to the normal Job Search agreement.

If you claim JSA and then present a Fit Note you can be excused Job Searching for up to 13 weeks, after this your must either conform or have your benefit sanctioned.

For ESA you will receive the Assessment rate until a Decision is made, this could be less than 13 weeks but is unlikely to be. On-going payments would depend on whether you meet the criteria for an award or not. Be aware, if you are found Fit for Work, then you cannot make a new claim for ESA at any time in the future unless you can show a new condition or a deterioration in your existing ones, where you could reasonably be expected to receive an award.

Gorrdon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.