× Members

When to apply for PIP. DLA expires in Nov 2016

More
8 years 4 days ago #160033 by beans2308
Hi all,

My DLA award - middle rate care, low rate mobility - runs out at the beginning of November 2016. It was a 5 year fixed award. I am unsure as to when I should make a claim for PIP. If I do it now, am I essentially saying to the DWP that I'm no longer fit for DLA? I don't wish to fall into any trap.

My DLA - which was only successful after a tribunal - was almost primarily awarded due to mental health issues which have affected me since age 16 (I am now 40). I have only ever worked for 6 months of my life (at age 30) and this wasn't a success. I'm aware that PIP is more difficult to obtain for mental health issues. I have also heard that most PIP claimants are knocked back and have to appeal. This is why I thought it would be wise to make a claim now, as I don't want to be without benefit come November.

I am on the waiting list to see a counsellor and take a high dose of anti-depressants daily (the dose will most likely be increased soon). I also take maximum strength Sumatriptan for chronic migraine and prescription-strength Co-Codamol (30/500mg) for both migraine and joint discomfort from fibromyalgia.

I would appreciate some advice as to when best to make a PIP claim in order to attain the most successful outcome.

Many thanks,
Beans 2308

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 days ago - 8 years 4 days ago #160035 by slugsta
Hi and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

You will be notified when to apply for PIP. As long as you conform to the timescales set by DWP, your DLA will continue until 1 month after a decision has been made on the PIP. No matter how long that takes or what the decision is.

If you claim PIP early, you simply run the risk of your DLA ending sooner. In your position I think I would keep my head down!

If you want to get ahead of the game you could look at the PIP guide and start making notes for your answers.

PIP help for claimants

You might want to bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future. This will allow you to return with further questions/comments without having to start a new topic. It helps us enormously when everything relating to the same claim is kept in one topic - and I hope you will find it useful too :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 4 days ago by slugsta.

More
7 years 11 months ago #160811 by beans2308
Replied by beans2308 on topic When to apply for PIP. DLA expires in Nov 2016
Thank you Mrs Hurtyback. I will hang fire until I'm sent a PIP form.

In the meantime, my Council Tax (previously paid in full by Council Tax Benefit) has gone up to £7 a month at the beginning of the financial year (1st April 2016). Upon challenging this, they informed me that as my DLA award will be ending in Nov of this year, they have to pre-empt this happening by charging me. They told me this is standard practice. I informed them that I will be applying for PIP as soon as I'm sent a form as my condition has not improved at all. I wonder if this is in fact standard practice? I don't recall this happening in the past and I wonder if something else might be happening behind the scenes without my being aware.

Last week I was sent a Capability For Work Questionnaire - I have been in the Support Group since my 5 year DLA Award was implemented - so that is something else that is now pressing (it has to be in by 5th July). I'm surprised that this has been sent out so early.

I would appreciate any advice on whether the Council Tax issue sounds legitimate. Many thanks.

More
7 years 11 months ago #160832 by Gordon
Beans

It sounds to me as if your Council are being responsible in regard to your DLA ending.

Your Council Tax is calculated for the full year ahead and then usually divided into 10 monthly payments which you pay from April to January. If your DLA ends in November then they cannot calculate any discount after this date as doing so would have the potential to result in a underpayment by you and a demand for payment of the missing funds.

Gorodn

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.